Our mission is to fund the creative class. We believe that people who make great things should get paid for the value they give to the world. We strive to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it fast and easy to run a profitable business as a professional creator.
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill that vision. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
We strive for greatness and cherish a growth mindset. We are building a team that is both performance-oriented and compassionate. We value curiosity, learning, and feedback. We expect outstanding results from ourselves and each other.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Diverse perspectives will help us serve a diverse community of creators and patrons. We believe that a diverse and inclusive team will accomplish our mission more effectively.
Patreon is looking for someone to…
Build and lead a world-class trust and safety function that fosters unparalleled levels of trust between Patreon, creators, and patrons on our platform. It’s imperative that we swiftly and securely send money from patrons to creators, and that we ensure content on Patreon builds an intimate and safe venue for a diverse range of creators and communities.
What you would do:
- Set a multi-year vision and strategy for the team and manage the execution of that strategy.
- Hire leaders and build a team that exemplifies empathy, clarity, and outstanding results.
- Inspire, motivate, and project manage cross functional teams that include teammates from our support, account management, legal, engineering, product, marketing, and communications departments.
- Establish operational excellence in our decision-making and user-facing communication processes.
- Oversee fraud, chargebacks, content policy, and account security; report on the business impact of these initiatives with clear metrics.
- Use Patreon's creator first views to innovate in the Trust and Safety field and move the industry forward.
Skills and qualities we seek:
- Growth mindset - You strive for greatness; your curiosity is limitless; you have an intense desire to learn and explore.
- Judgement - You have a history of making tough decisions based on complex information and difficult tradeoffs.
- Strategic and analytical thinking - You ask incisive questions that uncover the heart of an issue; you frame data so that it effectively conveys the right takeaways.
- Team building - You’re prepared to build and lead a team that contributes to a culture of high performance and unusual compassion. You’ve led a Trust and Safety team for multiple years, and have scaled with a company from 100-500+ employees.
- Expertise - You have at least 5 years experience working on Trust and Safety, Risk, Fraud, and/or Content teams.
- Management - Your management craft is honed. You’re eager to foster learning and growth for others in addition to yourself; you’re an expert at giving and receiving feedback.
- Written and Verbal communication - You are a clear and effective communicator. You are comfortable engaging and debating an executive team.
- Project management - You have successfully run company-wide initiatives across multiple departments.
- Creator Centrism - You respect, understand, and admire the creative class.
Whom you will work with:
- This role reports to the VP of Operations, who reports to the CEO.
- You will lead our Fraud and Content teams. Together the teams are ~6 people and set to more than double in 2018.
- This role participates in Patreon’s cross-functional risk council.
- This leader will work closely with Patreon’s executive team.