Our mission is to fund the creative class. We believe that people who make great things should get paid for the value they give to the world. We strive to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it fast and easy to run a profitable business as a professional creator.
We strive for greatness and cherish a growth mindset. We are building a team that is both performance-oriented and compassionate. We value curiosity, learning, and feedback. We expect outstanding results from ourselves and each other.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Diverse perspectives will help us serve a diverse community of creators and patrons. We believe that a diverse and inclusive team will accomplish our mission more effectively.
What you will do:
- Build and lead Patreon’s accounting function; recruit amazing teammates with the right skillsets to bring our accounting function in-house
- Manage an efficient and effective financial reporting process; own all elements of Patreon’s month-end close and financial reporting
- Oversee Patreon’s first audit; manage Patreon’s compliance and internal controls; bring our reporting standards and control systems up to a public company standard over the coming 2 years
- Build and lead Patreon's tax function; ensure that Patreon meets its tax obligations
- Manage the systems that handle accounts receivable, accounts payable, corporate credit cards, and expense reimbursement
- Execute the accounting elements of Patreon’s M&A activities; prepare Patreon for efficient due diligence
- Define and execute all accounting-related objectives in Patreon's internationalization strategy
- Manage an efficient and effective payroll system
- Work with outstanding teammates from all walks of life
- Support Patreon in its mission of funding the creative class
What skills and qualities we seek:
- You strive for greatness; your curiosity is limitless; you have a growth mindset and an intense desire to learn and explore; you’re eager to foster learning and growth for others in addition to yourself; you’re an expert at giving and receiving feedback
- You have outstanding analytical thinking -- you ask incisive questions that uncover the heart of an issue; you frame data so that it effectively conveys the right takeaways; you have outstanding attention to detail
- You’re prepared to build and lead a team that contributes to a culture of high performance and unusual compassion
- You’re a CPA with deep experience building outstanding accounting systems; experience as a Controller is a big plus
- You’re deeply knowledgeable about audits; public accounting experience is a big plus
- You’re an expert in US GAAP
- You’re deeply knowledgeable about technical accounting, including capitalized software expense, stock compensation expense, and transactions related to fundraising/financing and M&A
- You deeply understand accounting for a global business; you know how to build a team that handles the accounting elements of multi-national employment, foreign banking entities, currency exchange, international regulatory compliance, and international tax law
- You’re equipped with the knowledge and curiosity to anticipate Patreon’s accounting challenges and prepare the company accordingly
- As a rough guideline, you have at least 10 years of accounting experience that includes both public accounting and experience as a Controller
Whom you’ll work with:
- This role reports to the VP of Data Science and Operations, who reports to the CEO.
- You’ll hire your accounting team from the ground up; we currently use contractors and consultants.
- We are building an FP&A function that will partner closely with the accounting function.
- The accounting function will partner with the rest of the business so that the entire organization understands our financial performance.
We aim to build an accounting function that sets an industry-leading example for excellence. If you’re eager to address this challenge and would like to join our team in San Francisco, please apply below.