Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior M&A Counsel to build out our corporate legal function.
The Patreon Legal team's mission is to build the best legal team anyone has worked with by helping other teams achieve their goals while ensuring Patreon's long-term independence and sustainability. Our work culture is highly autonomous and impactful. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious and empathetic people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
What you will do:
- Partner closely with the corporate development team and lead the legal work on M&A transactions globally.
- Work cross functionally in all stages of acquisitions, including structuring transactions, drafting term sheets, managing deal processes, performing due diligence, negotiating definitive documentation, assisting on regulatory filings, closing transactions and managing post-closing integration and disputes.
- Improve deal processes, templates and scalability.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Support the legal team on other projects, including general corporate matters, financing transactions and public company readiness.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 6+ years of relevant legal experience in the M&A group at a top law firm and/or in-house.
- Extensive experience structuring, negotiating and leading M&A transactions.
- Ability to independently draft M&A term sheets.
- Ability to manage complex projects across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Superior attention to detail, communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to be productive and successful in a fast-paced work environment.
- JD degree and admitted to the California state bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel in California.
- Passion for and interest in Patreon and our mission.
Who You'll Work With:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to Learn More About Patreon?