Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Head of Online Community to join our San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York team.
The person in this role will be an empathetic connector, a fantastic listener, a strategy and project management whiz, and an internet lover who is responsible for building the preferred and most inclusive creator community online for support, inspiration, learning, and collaboration. This person will be a strong creator advocate and a critical partner for many Patreon teams, ensuring that Patreon creators feel understood and heard by each other and by Patreon.
What you will do:
- Increase meaningful participation - Manage official online community spaces for Patreon creators (currently, a Discourse forum and Discord server), ensuring conversations and connections flow, questions are answered, and topics or requests are escalated when relevant; embody Patreon’s voice and culture in all interactions
- Identify and empower leaders - Recognize, nurture, and lead volunteer evangelist moderators and community members
- Partner cross-functionally - Advocate for Patreon creators in internal conversations & facilitate participation of Patreon teammates in community spaces
- Make data-informed decisions - Identify and monitor actionable community health and impact metrics, make strategic decisions and plan experiments accordingly, and create reports that you will present to other teams
- Define and execute on strategy- Determine the strategic direction of our online community spaces in partnership with the Head of Community and Education and carry out that plan, e.g., determine OKRs, create and manage content calendars, optimize process and/or tools
Skills and experience you possess:
- 4+ years experience managing or moderating large online communities on platforms such as Reddit, Discord, Slack, Discourse
- Passion for community and relationship building, especially online
- Experience facilitating open and sometimes difficult conversations with a positive, solutions-oriented outlook
- Superfan of creator and internet culture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to juggle multiple projects seamlessly and change focus in response to emerging challenges and changes
- Data-informed decision maker with experience moving the needle on community metrics
- Experience and comfort working cross-functionally, especially with Product, Community Happiness, and/or Marketing teams
- Strong sense of empathy - curious about others’ motivations and eager to help them succeed
- Experience training and leading community moderators and/or volunteer leaders
- Experience building and nurturing global communities is a plus
- Direct experience as a creator is a delightful nice-to-have
Projects you may work on:
- Partner closely with other teams (e.g., Product, PMM, Customer Happiness) to refine our feedback loop with creators, deepening trust, adoption, and loyalty as you go
- Implement a delightful, productive community member onboarding experience that makes creators feel welcome and prepares them to participate meaningfully
- Identify community leadership opportunities and design and manage effective, enjoyable moderator/leader roles and programs to help our creator community scale
- Make it easy and exciting for Patreon employees to join and regularly participate in our online community spaces
- Create detailed, strategic, multi-channel content calendars to inspire creators to collaborate and grow together; also, to support big Patreon announcements and initiatives
- Share your online community management know-how with your colleagues and/or Patreon creators by leading workshops or writing how-tos
What you will have the chance to learn:
- Get a deep understanding of creators who work across all mediums and topics. Learn what motivates them, what connects them, and how they build successful careers.
- Get hands-on experience building and scaling a creator community at a fast-growing, mission-driven company.
- Learn from other highly collaborative, cross-functional peers of all seniority levels on a variety of teams (i.e. product, marketing, policy, research, data science, and more.)
- Grow your management skills by organizing and motivating a team of volunteer community moderators and collaborators; opportunity for the right person to build their own team as the program’s impact and influence grows.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?