Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Director of Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting to join our San Francisco team.
The Director of Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting is a newly created role that reports to the Corporate Controller with high visibility to the CFO and broader executive team. This position will help to build and maintain the Company’s accounting policies, address technical accounting challenges, and implement systems that satisfy GAAP and SEC reporting requirements. Patreon is a privately-owned business that aims to bring its accounting practices to public company standards, and this role will play a major role in that transition. Patreon is in a phase of rapid growth, so this position requires a “hands-on” candidate who is flexible and able to work well in a dynamic environment.
- Develop and maintain Patreon’s Accounting Policies; analyze new and proposed accounting standards to determine accounting and disclosure implications.
- Proactively identify, research, and prepare technical memos on complex technical accounting issues.
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements, footnote disclosures, and management’s discussion and analysis (MD&A) in support of the Company's efforts to bring its accounting to public company standards.
- Own equity and stock-based compensation accounting.
- Own ASC 606 and revenue recognition end-to-end.
- Oversee the capitalization of software development costs.
- Be a trusted business partner and advisor to stakeholders within Finance, Accounting, and across the company.
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls.
- Be a proactive liaison with external auditors to drive timely disclosure of technical accounting matters and annual audits.
- Assist with other special projects as needed.
- Licensed Active CPA with 12 or more years of technical accounting and SEC reporting experience, including a mix of progressive Big 4 and industry experience
- Ability to build and lead high-performance teams; 5+ years of managing teams preferred
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP, SOX 404, and SEC reporting standards, as well as experience with technical research
- IPO experience including knowledge of the S1 filing process highly preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Ability to draft original disclosures, MD&A, and other public and private communications.
- Able to work well with other parts of the business e.g., FP&A, Sales, and R&D
- Ability to be flexible and work analytically in a dynamic environment
- Meticulous and superior attention to detail
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills with experience working in a big data environment
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?