Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $1 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Principal Architect.
What you will do:
- Define and implement the end-to-end technical architecture (with collaboration with all Senior Engineering leadership) in order to scale our business. This includes:
- Defining and implementing the common product services, required by both Membership Product and Payments
- Defining the longer-term Patreon API strategy and implementing the architecture to support that strategy.
- Partner with all Product Engineering teams to ensure that the Patreon product is highly performant as it scales to the needs of our growing user base.
- Review software architecture designs.
- Mentor engineers to advance their technical skills and careers.
- Constantly improve our team culture, practices, and effectiveness.
- Work with people from all walks of life.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have significant experience across multiple technical stacks, with special attention to product scalability, usability, and performance.
- You know industry best practices for software design and coding standards.
- You are a great communicator who can explain technical issues and risks to a broad, non-technical audience. You work well with engineering, legal, product, executives, and others. You tailor your communication style, level of detail, and approach based on the audience.
- You are a strong collaborator and can influence technical teams, and you take them along with you.
- You operate effectively across teams and disciplines even in highly ambiguous situations.
- You have experience building inclusive team cultures.
- You care about building great products and a great company that matters.
Please note that in order to be set up for success during our initial technical screening process, you must know one of the following: Python, Ruby, Java, JS, TypeScript.
Projects you may work on:
- You will own and drive the evolution of the technical architecture required to fulfill our mission of funding the creative class.
- You will partner with engineering leaders to build a world-class team of engineers that cares about the craft of building excellent products.
- You will help us build a great culture and a great company.
- You will help us participate in technical communities and build a strong engineering brand.
What you will have the chance to learn:
- Partner with other technical leaders in the industry to drive the technical strategy required to scale Patreon as a business
Who you'll work with:
- At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?