Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer, Payments.
What you will do:
- You'll help Patreon scale the foundation of a platform that helps creators pay rent and enables higher levels of creativity.
- Collaborate with product management, designers, and other engineers to build new product functionality, while maintaining a delightful user experience, motivated by passion for our shared mission.
- Work with a supportive team to get things done with the right mix of quality and agility.
- Work with Java, Python 3.6, Flask, FastAPI, MySQL, AWS, Redis, Kafka, React, and Webpack, introducing other technologies when it makes sense.
- Engineers joining now have tons of opportunities to take on responsibility and ownership and have a meaningful impact!
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have experience with Python, Java, or other object oriented programming languages.
- You know your monoliths from your microservices, and have architected across both
- You know when to choose DynamoDB over MySQL, and have proven experience across a range of database technologies
- You have experience shipping quality features, releasing often, and iterating rapidly.
- You have experience working with transactional, data-driven applications at scale.
- When have integrated with 3rd party vendors to unlock additional capabilities
- You have opinions on what makes effective programming and testing practices.
- You love to write clean, testable code. And every commit leaves the codebase better than you found it.
- You’re a constant learner, and you enjoy sharing what you learn
- You have a solid understanding of payment processors and the payments ecosystem
- Experience working in payments, fintech or non-traditional financial services
- Knowledge of fraud and risk systems a plus
However, please note that in order to be set up for success during our initial technical screening process, you must know one of the following: Python, Ruby, Java, JS, TypeScript.
Projects you may work on:
- Leading the redesign of a complex payments monolith into services that make sense
- Designing and building our payments platform for the future, not just following how things were done previously
- Expanding our platform to support additional payment processors, payment methods, and currencies - making it easy for our Patrons to support their favourite Creators, wherever they are.
- Contribute at a global scale.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here.
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill on it. We believe that hiring smart, thoughtful, people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn
Thanks very much for taking the time to learn about the team behind Patreon. If you want to join us changing creator’s lives, we’d love to talk.