Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support the day-to-day accounting operations across all aspects of the business, Patreon is looking for a Manager for our Accounting team.
This dynamic position requires an experienced, hands-on manager. The accounting manager will manage and direct the general ledger team, which has responsibility for many aspects of the month end close, including accruals, reconciliations, and foreign currency translation. This role is also responsible for assisting in the preparation of support for our quarterly & annual financial reporting. This team player will also interface with our external auditors to provide information and support during quarter end reviews and year end audits.
- Oversee and manage general ledger accounting activities to ensure timely and accurate reporting, including consolidations, inter-company accounting, chart of accounts maintenance, accounting for international subsidiaries (including statutory reporting functions), journal entry and reconciliations, flux analysis and supporting schedules
- Manage and proactively drive the month end-close cycle to ensure timely and accurate completion of financial reporting of a pre-IPO company.
- Collaborate with finance team members to ensure the timely and accurate analysis and reconciliation of all applicable general ledger accounts.
- Provide oversight and review of payroll and accounts payable transaction processing and review staff accountant journal entries and reconciliations in these areas.
- Work with technical accounting personnel to ensure significant or complex accounting transactions are properly recorded in the general ledger.
- Manage monthly financial report creation and perform variance analysis to support budgetary control and financial statement accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP and be familiar with current applicable accounting pronouncements.
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley 404 internal control policies and procedures, execute and document internal controls timely and accurately, and collaborate to revise and enhance internal control policies and procedures as needed.
- Coordinate with external auditors and ensure support and information requests are provided timely for quarterly reviews and annual financial audits.
- Collaborate with stakeholders as necessary to support the implementation of new accounting systems and technologies to support corporate growth and efficiency. Assess, streamline, and improve operational accounting policies and procedures to ensure efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Collaborate, communicate concisely, and work cross-functionally with finance personnel, department managers, auditors, accounting consultants, and other stakeholders as necessary.
- Assist with other projects and process improvement initiatives as necessary.
- 6+ years’ relevant financial experience, currently as an accounting manager and preferably in both US and Global operating environments.
- 3+ years audit/assurance experience from a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- A strong technical accounting background, CPA required.
- Experience in helping drive toward IPO readiness (a big plus).
- ERP implementation experience (also a big plus).
- Experience in implementing a strong internal control environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines with meticulous attention to detail.
- A team player with ability to function individually and collectively to work well under pressure, perform and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, exercise initiative and creativity to meet deadlines and goals
- Exceptional written communication and presentation skills and proven ability to effectively communicate complex matters to all employee levels through company-wide communications.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent business judgment, strategic thinking, and ability to manage multiple matters.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and ability to perform and comprehend complex financial analysis
- Experience leading teams, people, projects, and developing people and their careers
- Proven ability to collaborate and build positive relationships with other teams within finance and non-finance teams to effectively make recommendations, implement process/policies, etc.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.