Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $500 million directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Data Engineer.
What you will do:
- Maintain and improve our data warehouse
- Organize and optimize raw data
- Develop new data pipelines and maintain existing pipelines
- Collaborate with data scientists on data analysis and query creation/optimization
Skills and experience you possess:
- 3+ years experience in a Data Engineer role
- 2+ years experience writing Python or some other object oriented programming language
- Experience building and maintaining data warehouses
- Experience building, maintaining and optimizing data pipelines
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools such as Airflow, Luigi
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Basic knowledge of Infrastructure as Code and configuration management systems (Chef, Puppet, or Ansible)
- Experience with AWS big data tools such as Redshift (Redshift Spectrum, Athena, Kinesis, EMR) a plus
- Experience with big data technologies such as Kafka, Spark a plus
- Knowledge of MySQL a plus
Projects you may work on:
- A new Machine Learning Pipeline for serving Data Science and the Product
- Migrating our data warehouse from Redshift to Snowflake
- Creating a new Sparking Streaming Pipeline for Creator Insights
- Any other data needs from the product or our data scientists.
What you will have the chance to learn:
- Data Warehouse and Pipelining best practices
- On a team of 2-3 determining the long-term data architecture of Patreon.
- AWS Infrastructure, Data science or Machine Learning if you so choose.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?