Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $1 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Director of Compliance to lead our work in making the platform compliant with financial and privacy regulations.
What you will do:
- Lead the development of our compliance program. Working closely with stakeholders across the business, you will create creator first compliance solutions that work for a marketplace platform.
- Conduct a thorough evaluation of our current compliance program and build a roadmap for systematic improvement.
- Prioritize compliance roadmap between short term requirements and long term goals, and then effectively communicate those needs to ensure proper resources are allocated across teams at Patreon.
- Partner with internal stakeholders on the Product, Engineering, Legal, Payments, Trust & Safety and Finance teams to improve our compliance program.
- Help our Payments team manage our relationship with payment partners and create a good working relationship with them.
- Liaison and build relationships with regulatory agencies.
- Educate other teams on compliance requirements and how they apply to Patreon.
- Eventually hire and build out your own team to expand this work as Patreon continues to grow.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 10+ years of relevant international compliance experience such as payments, marketplace or e-commerce platforms.
- Deep knowledge of Card Network requirements for merchants, with a focus on marketplaces.
- Experience implementing sanctions and AML programs.
- Familiarity with privacy regulations like GDPR and CCPA.
- Experience working with product managers and engineers to implement compliance programs.
- Ability to manage complex projects across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Experience building and leading a team.
- JD or equivalent work experience.
- Passion for and interest in Patreon and our mission.
Projects you may work on:
- Work with technical and operations teams to Implement and improve automated sanctions screening process.
What you will have the chance to learn:
- How to build a compliance program from scratch at a fast growing marketplace platform startup.
- How to manage relationships with partners in the payments industry across a broad spectrum of issues.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?