Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
We have paid over $350 million directly to creators on our platform, and our user base has doubled in the last year alone. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer, Platform.
What you will do:
- Lead and contribute to development of critical projects, working with and mentoring other team members on the Platform team.
- Build out the Patreon developer experience, and the tools that help developers and partners provide real value to creators and patrons.
- Work with a supportive team to get things done with the right mix of quality and agility.
- Advocate for optimized practices across the Platform initiative and the engineering organization.
- Collaborate with people from all walks of life, motivated by real passion for our shared mission.
- Build a product that helps creators focus on their work while making a living through our platform.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have strong experience building web applications or api services.
- You have strong experience in Python, Flask, Django, Rails, or comparable web technologies.
- You have strong opinions about code quality and product quality.
- You have experience shipping quality code, releasing early, and iterating rapidly.
- You understand how Internet services work at scale.
- You understand relational databases and how to utilize them effectively.
- You are excellent at communicating technical designs.
- You know how to balance moving quickly with building sustainably.
- You know how to write clear code.
Even better if:
- You love building tools to make customers and team members faster.
- You have experience with internet security best practices, including authentication and authorization.
- You have experience monitoring or managing servers.
- You have experience running cloud deployments of applications.
- You have experience working with and developing OAuth APIs.
Projects you may work on:
- Building tools to help creators run their businesses, gain insights from their data, and get closer to their biggest fans.
- Leveling up our public API to support extensive 3rd-party integrations via a secure and elegantly simple developer experience.
- Building the tooling for the Patreon ecosystem, providing a firm foundation for developers to build upon.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here. If you identify with a traditionally underrepresented group of individuals in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply!
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill on it. We believe that hiring smart, thoughtful, people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results. We encourage you to learn more about how we think about culture at Patreon, to make sure we’re the right place for you.
You’ll love working here if:
- You care about getting artists and creators paid.
- You believe the best products are built with a human-centered design process.
- You love to design impactful, well crafted experiences.
- You work best in a highly collaborative environment.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- Check out video testimonials, photos, and more on TheMuse
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn
Thanks very much for taking the time to learn about the team behind Patreon. If you want to join us changing creator’s lives, we’d love to talk.