Our mission is to fund the creative class. We believe that people who make great things should get paid for the value they give to the world. We strive to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it fast and easy to run a profitable business as a professional creator.
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill that vision. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
We strive for greatness and cherish a growth mindset. We are building a team that is both performance-oriented and compassionate. We value curiosity, learning, and feedback. We expect outstanding results from ourselves and each other.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Diverse perspectives will help us serve a diverse community of creators and patrons. We believe that a diverse and inclusive team will accomplish our mission more effectively.
Patreon is looking for someone to…
Join our legal team as the second attorney at the company. You will partner with the Head of Legal to help build and lead our legal team. Take ownership of the legal issues you are experienced with and learn new areas of law as desired. You will help a fast growing startup scale and build legal processes to facilitate that growth.
What you would do:
- Partner with the Head of Legal to help build and lead our legal team as we scale.
- Help ensure the legal team is providing high quality and cost effective legal advice across the company.
- Select a few specific areas of legal responsibilities you are experienced with to own.
- Be open to taking ownership of any type of legal issues that come up.
- Push Patreon to be innovative in developing creator first legal policies and products, while driving efficiencies and best practices in other legal processes.
Skills and qualities we seek:
- Legal expertise - You have 5+ years of relevant legal experience, including at least one year working in-house at a technology company and preferably some experience at a major law firm.
- Leadership and mentoring - You are excited to help build and mentor a growing legal team and act as the second-in-command of the legal function.
- Written and verbal communication - You are a clear and effective communicator. You are comfortable giving presentations to the entire company and debating with our executive team. Your written communications are polished and can be sent to our board of directors or press outlets.
- Project management - You have successfully run company-wide initiatives across multiple departments.
- Passion for the law - Legal frontiers and grey areas excite you. You want to understand the context around these issues and propose new solutions.
- Judgment - You have a history of making tough decisions based on complex information and difficult tradeoffs.
- Empathy - You care about your colleagues and building a values based culture. You educate and guide teammates towards the best outcomes instead of mandating they follow your legal advice.
- Growth mindset - You strive for greatness; your curiosity is limitless; you have an intense desire to learn and explore.
- Creator centrism - You respect, understand, and admire the creative class.
What you will have the chance to learn:
- How to scale a legal team at a rapidly growing startup.
- How to deal with any type of legal issue a venture backed startup serving over 50,000 financially active creators and 1 million patrons can encounter.