Our mission is to fund the creative class. We believe that people who make great things should get paid for the value they give to the world. We strive to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it fast and easy to run a profitable business as a professional creator.
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill that vision. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
We strive for greatness and cherish a growth mindset. We are building a team that is both performance-oriented and compassionate. We value curiosity, learning, and feedback. We expect outstanding results from ourselves and each other.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Diverse perspectives will help us serve a diverse community of creators and patrons. We believe that a diverse and inclusive team will accomplish our mission more effectively.
Patreon is looking for someone to…
Join our legal team as the first member of Legal Operations. You will help operationalize a new copyright infringement policy that protects creators while also protecting Patreon. Because we receive a wide range of infringement notices, we require someone with experience and empathy to guide our creators towards the best outcome. You will also help build out the first workflows for other legal operations tasks such as law enforcement requests, government takedown requests and data privacy requests from users.
What you would do:
- Partner with in-house and outside counsel to operationalize the next generation of our copyright infringement policy.
- Guide creators through our policy and process with an aim towards achieving the best possible outcome for all parties.
- Handle a large range of other legal tasks relating to our users and eventually build workflows to streamline those tasks.
- Use Patreon's creator first views to innovate on our approach to every aspect of user facing legal operations.
Skills and qualities we seek:
- Expertise - You have at least 3 years experience working on copyright infringement issues on a platform with user generated content.
- Empathy - You consider every viewpoint in a situation and propose solutions that are dignified and practical for our users.
- Written and verbal communication - You are a clear and effective communicator. You are comfortable creating written communications that will be shared online to a large audience of creators.
- Judgment - You have a history of making tough decisions based on complex information and difficult tradeoffs.
- Growth mindset - You strive for greatness; your curiosity is limitless; you have an intense desire to learn and explore.
- Creator centrism - You respect, understand, and admire the creative class.
What you will have the chance to learn:
- How to scale user facing legal operations at a rapidly growing startup.
- Innovate on user facing policies and workflows.