The health care system isn’t doing enough for patients-- but you can help change that. PatientsLikeMe is leading the social medicine space by allowing people to: share their health data, to track their progress, to help others, and change medicine for good. Each time someone shares their experience, they're helping the next person diagnosed learn what could really work for them, and helping researchers shorten the path to new treatments. We’re passionate about improving the lives of patients, improving the healthcare system, working on hard technical problems and doing all of this with teamwork. If you want to work with great people for a well-funded organization on an initiative that matters, we want to talk to you. Come make a difference in patients’ lives with us!
Who are we hiring?
We’re looking for a Director of Operations to lead the Operations Team. Our Operations Engineers work as a team on the continuous support of our website as well as large projects aimed at improving our existing systems and infrastructure.
Starting in 2018, the team will be building out a big data platform to support our new Science and Computational Biology team. During this build out, the Operations Director will be working closely with our international partners to make sure the stack is consistent across all partners.
We are looking for someone with at least 5 years of operations experience and 2 years of management experience. We don’t have specific education requirements and recognize that great candidates come from a variety of backgrounds but you should have experience with: Configuration Management, a Programming Language and AWS.
We use Chef, Terraform, Ruby, Python, and whatever else it takes to not ever log into an actual system. We treat infrastructure as code; if it’s not checked in, it doesn’t make it to production. In 2018, we will be moving to containerization (Docker, Kubernetes) and continuous delivery.
More about what you’ll do in this role:
- Participate in all stages of infrastructure planning - from architecture design through application deployment
- Coordination with our partners in China, Silicon Valley, and Israel
- Lead a team of 5 operations engineers. Grow the team as needed.
- Be responsible for meeting PLM SOPs for uptime, performance, and errors
- Discuss product requirements with others, both inside and outside of engineering
- As leader of the team, drive us toward continuous delivery.
More about what we’re looking for:
- 5 years of experience in operations.
- 2 years in engineering management
- Experience with config management tools (We use Chef with Test Kitchen, but as long as you’ve touched config management you’ll be fine)
- Experience with object-oriented languages (Ruby, Python)
- Experience administering and tuning databases (we use PostgreSQL)
- Ability to operate in a cloud environment such as AWS
- Believer in configuration management and documentation
- Experience working with software teams and using source control. We use Git.
- Team player, be able to teach as well as learn. We really like working together.
Competitive salary, stock options, generous vacation package, flexible schedule, health and dental, weekly free lunch and a company discussion/presentation — usually by industry leaders in health and technology. Your teammates are also musicians, home-brewers, artists, gardeners, athletes and all-around great people.