PatientsLikeMe is expanding our award-winning team. We believe that "to measure is to know", and all segments of our company strive to be data-driven.
PatientsLikeMe is a real-time research platform and the world’s largest personalized health network, working to bring the patient voice to research, development and public policy. With over half a million members, PatientsLikeMe is a trusted source for real-world disease information and its patient-generated data form the basis of more than 100 peer-reviewed scientific studies. PatientsLikeMe is now a central part of iCarbonX's Digital Life Alliance, whose partner organizations work in collaboration to reach a deeper understanding of the medical, behavioral and environmental factors that can accelerate disease or optimize health.
The data science team responds to our company’s rapid-paced need for data and analyses. We tackle the company’s toughest problems: using patient-generated data as well as high-throughput molecular ‘omics data to make a difference for health and business decisions. Our team works at both a strategic and a tactical level, defining and solving analytical problems for the entire organization and our clients. The team’s analysis has led to many peer-reviewed publications and has broken new ground in elevating patient voice and experience to the level of medical evidence.
As a data science manager, you will lead the team to drive key insights from the world’s largest database of structured patient experiences. You will also be a practitioner yourself. The specific areas you and the team will work on are:
- Performing analyses and building mathematical models to answer questions about our data (both patient-generated self-reported data, as well as molecular ‘omics data).
- Responding to ad hoc requests for data and/or summary statistics from our platform, working toward become an expert on all aspects of our data.
- Presenting analyses to clients (external and internal), and helping them understand/interpret results.
As manager of the team, you will have the additional responsibility to
- Help make the data science team the best it can be – both as individuals and as a unit
- Manage overall workflow (e.g. reviewing proposed projects, tracking workload and capacity, reviewing output)
- Ensure that data science work integrates sensibly with work of other teams
As a company, we believe in getting people to work on what they enjoy and are good at (which is usually the same thing), so the above responsibilities will expand and change, based on our needs and your capabilities and interests. This is an exceptional opportunity to be on the leading edge of figuring out the best methods to integrate molecular omics data with patient-generated health data.
- You have at least 5 years experience managing technical people (data scientists and/or computational biologists).
- Experience in hiring or growing a team is a plus.
- You have an analytical nature, and the experience that shows it. You’ve worked on analytical problems where the results matter in the real world.
- You’ve worked with complex data structures, and understand how to make correct inferences from data (experience working with health data and/or omics data preferred).
- You know the tools of the trade. You probably have one or more of the following in your toolkit:
- SQL (PostgreSQL preferred), well beyond just the ability to do basic SELECT statements and trivial JOINs.
- General-purpose programming language(s) (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl).
- Numerical/statistical software package (e.g. R, MATLAB, SAS, SPSS).
- You don’t dismiss small mismatches between numbers. That would really irk you until you understand and resolve the discrepancy.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s or higher preferred), or commensurate experience in an industry or industry-like setting, probably in a technical subject.
- You must be local to our Cambridge office, or willing to relocate.