We embrace a high ethical standard because our patient members and caregivers expect nothing less. Business Development with PatientsLikeMe takes a particular talent, sensitivity, ethic and maturity that is frankly very hard to define – but we know it when we sense it.
Founded in 2004, privately-held, Boston-based, PatientsLikeMe is a patient-powered research network that improves lives by helping patients (and caregivers) to ‘connect’, ‘track’ and learn about their condition or symptoms. A real-time research platform that advances medicine through patient reported experiences, preferences, treatments, and the journey in between formal health care visits.
With more than 500,000 members spanning 2500 conditions, PatientsLikeMe is a trusted source for real-world disease information and a clinically robust resource that has published more than 100 research studies. Using the power of crowdsourced, computable data, PatientsLikeMe has demonstrated publishable, peer-reviewed science. Direct-to-patient research has a considerable speed advantage, and can reach patients that otherwise would be difficult to find, and can do this across geographies and clinical research sites
As part of our growth, we are excited to partner with iCarbonX to bring new data and technology together announced in early 2017. The alliance that PatientsLikeMe is a part of is the catalyst for this new dedicated Snr Director role for this new initiative.
We apply crowdsourcing, AI, bioinformatics and biology to create personalized health recommendations for individuals. Our role in this ecosystem is to enable patient-centered digitization and analytics of individual patient experience care, biology, environment and behavior. The important emphasis is “StateOmics” by measuring the chemicals that move and change in the body as our bodies work, such as the activity of proteins, cells, the immune system, State-omics is usually discussed in contrast to genetics, which is fixed ad unchanging and reveals comparatively little about current health.
Role and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the VP, the Director of Business Development is initially a single contributor role that will expand to leading and managing staff as the group and the business expands. We are looking for someone with strong experience in innovative new project negotiation to R&D executives within BioPharma organizations.
- Driving the commercial client-partner interface for the multi-omics strategy.
- Focus on sales into U.S based BioPharma client partners with appreciation for our current core research capabilities with emphasis on the new expanded biological sample/datasets with proteomics, genomics, metabolics and others acquired from patients in specific therapeutic areas ;
- Setting up new relationships based on ODP extensions and developing relationships
- Bringing patient centeredness to R&D in pharma by systematically showing companies what patients care about
- Maintain your deal flow using our CRM platform (BASE)
- Contribute to strategy, roadmap development, B2B marketing & demand generation plans
- Opportunity to influence the future growth of the company
- Experience with high-throughput molecular data such as DNA or RNA sequencing.
- 5 - 10 years sales or business development experience in relevant BioPharma, digital health ventures, CRO, consulting (ie you have carried contracts and quota from early stage qualification through to contractual close)
- Comfortable holding conversations across R&D, Clinical Development and Discovery with confidence and competence.
- Maturity, presence, and sensibility to move in the executive VP & SVP levels of our target customers
- Proficient with deal management of $1M to $10M+ contracts and multi-year strategic agreements
- Comfort with ambiguity; these are not straightforward ‘products’ with a pitch of benefits & features. Experience in a start-up or a new business venture/platform within an established business would be ideal past experiences and humility to have in your resume.
- Business to business (ie sales to BioPharma R&D) is preferred though candidates in the B2C/consumer ‘omics’ market are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time subject to time of year and project volume (99% US domestic in the first two years)
- We are seeking people that are respected, likable, and welcomed by our prospective clients; not a robot with a resume.
- In 2017-2018 the compensation will be a blend of base, MBO (management by objectives), team results and individual performance, and commission given this is a new ramp-up phase program within the enterprise.
- Equity will be provided subject to the professional level and experience of the successful candidate.
Ideal Candidates will also:
- Have a degree in Bio-Informatics, Computational Biology, Biology or other relevant area of study.
- Experience with projects that have covered the following conditions: Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, SLE/Lupus, Major Depressive Disorders and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Be based in Boston/Cambridge area.
- Relocation will be considered for exceptional non-local candidates.
- Remote opportunities are not available for this role at this time.
Along with your resume. please address in your cover letter, any questions you have regarding the announcement made earlier this year with iCarbonX.