PatientsLikeMe is a patient network that improves lives and a real-time research platform that advances medicine. Through the network, patients connect with others who have the same disease or condition and track and share their own experiences. In the process, they generate data about the real-world nature of disease that help researchers, pharmaceutical companies, regulators, providers, and non-profits develop more effective products, services and care. With 400,000 members, PatientsLikeMe is a trusted source for real-world disease information and a clinically robust resource that has published more than 60 peer-reviewed research studies.
PatientsLikeMe has created an online platform for developing and testing health outcome measures that reflect patients’ experiences with a disease, and assess health and quality of life. The platform (“Open Research Exchange”, ORE) facilitates qualitative and quantitative phases of psychometric development in a robust and fast manner.
As a psychometrician, you will use your analytic skills and experience to execute high-quality health services and outcomes research projects. In addition to being an expert researcher, you will succinctly communicate the key findings to diverse audiences including scientists and senior business executives.
As a member of the PatientsLikeMe team you will share lessons learned from each project to help us improve our platform, enhancing the patient’s ability to find other patients who can inform, support, and educate each other.
- Conduct qualitative (concept elicitation, item feedback) and quantitative analyses (item testing, reliability, validity) to develop or improve patient-reported outcome measures.
- Apply the concepts of psychometrics to advise on the appropriate administration of patient-reported questions through the PatientsLikeMe platform.
- Take requirements from clients (external and internal) and develop and execute methodologically rigorous research designs to answer their questions and solve patients’ problems.
- Participate in meetings and phone calls with prospective collaborators, explaining our capabilities and methods as well as eliciting study goals/requirements.
- Work on cross-functional teams (health data integrity, data science and client services) to produce research insights and effectively communicate with the client/stakeholder throughout the research process.
- Participate in preparing and delivering client presentations.
- Supervise research assistants working on projects.
- Develop conference presentations and posters; publish peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Master’s or doctoral degree in psychometrics, measurement, statistics, epidemiology, or related field with an emphasis on quantitative analysis or psychometrics
- Knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative testing methods
- Hands-on- experience with the outcomes measure development process, research methods, and both classical test theory and Item Response Theory
- 3+ years of experience in human clinical research; demonstrated experience in research design, data collection, managing data sets, qualitative data analysis, and psychometrics
- A record of peer-reviewed publications related to patient-reported outcomes measures
- Experience working directly with commercial and/or academic sponsors in identifying and conceptualizing patient reported outcome projects
- Proficiency with one or more statistical software programs such as SAS, R, Stata, MPlus, WinSteps or SPSS
- Industry experience in pharmaceutical outcomes research, epidemiology, HEOR, or data informatics a plus
- Local to the Boston/Cambridge area and able to be onsite daily
- You should become very familiar with our vision and experience in patient reported outcome measure development before applying; check out our publications, YouTube presentations, Open Research Exchange, and our blog.
Apply here with your resume/CV and cover letter highlighting your best work and what you can bring to the team.