Opportunities with PatientsLikeMe. A career at PatientsLikeMe means you’re part of the world’s largest personalized health network, helping people find new options for treatments and take action to improve their outcomes. We’re now part of the Research and Development unit in the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, backed by the resources of a Fortune 5 organization working to help people live healthier lives and help make the health system work better for everyone. That means we can extend our services to even more people, providing real-world disease information through patient-generated data, deep biology and artificial intelligence. This is the next stage of connected learning for better health and better living. This is a place to bring your passion to work while helping us bring the patient voice to research, development and public policy. Take a closer look at PatientsLikeMe and discover new ways to make a difference in the world as you do your life’s best work.SM
We are in the extraordinary position of building a massive health data set, as we are adding longitudinal multiple-modality ‘omics data to our unique patient-reported health data. We are looking for a highly motivated Bioinformatics Data Scientist to join the Translational Sciences department at PatientsLikeMe. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to impart a significant impact on the development of this program. The ideal candidate will be eager to identify, design, implement and document effective solutions. The candidate must be comfortable working as part of a team, often within areas outside of their expertise, and requiring effective communication with colleagues of various backgrounds, skill sets, and educational experience. The multi-disciplinary nature of the project affords great opportunity for a candidate’s growth and development.
Responsibilities may include:
- Integration of insurance claims data, patient generated health data (mainly survey data), and biological data for use in building predictive models
- Help build and maintain robust, scalable pipelines for the QA/QC, processing, and analysis of 'omics data including, but not limited to, WGS, RNASeq, proteomics, and metabolomics
- Identify strategies and algorithms to most effectively use multi-platform, multi-batch data
- Deploy machine learning algorithms to identify patterns related to disease onset, progression, and drug responsiveness (regression, svm, random forrest, neural networks, others)
- Communicate results in a clear, concise, and effective manner using various statistical metrics and visualizations
- Work closely with multiple internal teams including data engineering, clinical operations, knowledge management, translational, and computational biologists, as well as externally with ‘omics measurement vendors
The ideal candidate will have many of these qualifications:
- Education: Masters or PhD in a related field (e.g., computer science, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics, bioengineering) and experience with the skills mentioned above, or bachelor’s with commensurate experience
- Scientists typically have 1 - 3 years of professional experience
- Experience developing and maintaining -omics pipelines in a variety of languages
- Familiarity with statistical analysis of complex data, preferably in the biological sciences
- Proficiency in at least one general-purpose programming language (Python preferred). Some R/MATLAB or similar experience strongly desired. Must be comfortable working in languages that are not your primary.
- A general understanding of machine learning concepts and history of deployment
- Previous experience using AWS/Google Cloud/Azure to perform project-critical tasks preferred
- A heartfelt appreciation of science and a respect for the use of data to identify the closest approximation of truth Have the cognitive dissonance of a desire to get the most correct answer possible while acknowledging the business need for rapid iteration and the inherent imperfection that requires
- Empathy for consumers of information which generates a desire to produce effective displays/visualizations/presentations of complicated data
PatientsLikeMe is a wholly owned subsidiary of UnitedHealth Group R&D. Consistent with UHG policies, all new employment at PatientsLikeMe is contingent on candidates passing a drug test within 48 hours of accepting a position. This test currently includes testing for marijuana. Legitimate medicinal marijuana use documented with a medical card is acceptable.