Scientist, Translational Biology and Knowledge Integration
PatientsLikeMe is a platform for patients to connect with others that have the same condition and track and share their experiences. In the process, they generate real-world data that help researchers, pharmaceutical companies, regulators, providers, and non-profits develop more effective products, services and care. With 600,000+ members representing 2,800+ conditions, PatientsLikeMe is a trusted source for real-world disease information and has published more than 70 peer-reviewed research studies. With the DigitalMeTM program, we are building a massive longitudinal health data set, adding multiple-modality ‘omics data to our unique patient-reported health data, with the goals of discovering biomedical insights and helping patients navigate their path to a better quality of life.
The PatientsLikeMe Translational Sciences team focus is to bring artificial intelligence to ‘omics and health data. To grow our group’s capabilities, we are seeking a Scientist/Senior Scientist, Translational Biology and Knowledge Integration to help derive insights from this data. The primary focus of this position is to devise, evaluate, and interpret clever methodologies to re-think how patients are diagnosed and treated, using their molecular information. You will help build,maintain, and leverage a foundation of structured biological knowledge to facilitate the robust and reproducible interpretation of high throughput molecular profiling (‘omics) data, including RNASeq, proteomics, and metabolomics. You will be required to develop a deep understanding of disease pathogenesis as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the molecular measurement platforms that PLM works with.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge infrastructure and growing the content and analytical tools necessary to support biological interpretation of integrated molecular and patient data.
- Leverage understanding of biological pathways and disease pathogenesis to create insights from the analysis of integrated data and knowledge
- Lead workstreams for curation, integration of external databases, and text mining/NLP.
- Work closely with scientists across the Translational Sciences team to align both knowledge content acquisition and development as well as analysis with organizational needs.
- Evaluate public and commercial databases for relevance and quality
- Develop curation guidelines and training materials for representation of biological knowledge.
- Collaborate with the broader Translational Sciences team to integrate biological knowledge with clinical data and patient reported outcomes.
- Support the use of knowledge in platforms across PLM
- Ph.D. or MD/PhD in biological sciences, preferably with focus in molecular biology or other advanced degree with significant experience in molecular biology
- Experience working with high-throughput molecular data and delivering high value insights
- Expert in signaling pathways
- Experience with biomedical databases and ontologies
- Familiarity with scripting languages (e.g., Python) and/or R/Bioconductor
- Experience with commonly used software for data visualization (e.g., Spotfire) and systems biology/pathway analysis (e.g., Cytoscape, GSEA)
- Strong attention to detail, communication, and organization skills
- Team player with solid collaboration skills
- Experience with text mining or natural language processing are a plus, but not required
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, and mission-driven atmosphere
- Must be local to our Cambridge office, or willing to relocate