The healthcare system isn’t doing enough for patients, but you can help change that. PatientsLikeMe is leading the social medicine space by allowing people to share their health data, track their progress, help others, and change medicine for good. Each time someone shares their experience, they’re helping the next person diagnosed learn what could really work for them, and helping researchers shorten the path to new treatments. At PatientsLikeMe we’re passionate about improving the lives of patients, improving the healthcare system, working on hard technical problems and doing all of this with teamwork. If you want to work with great people in an R&D organization on an initiative that matters, we want to talk to you. Come make a difference in patients’ lives with us!
Who are we hiring?
PatientsLikeMe is looking for a data engineer to join our Cambridge, MA team. Remote and part-time (3-4 days per week) are possibilities. Our Data Engineers work with a multi-disciplinary team of Data Scientists, Clinical Data Managers, Research Scientists, Engineers and many others at PLM. We think about the process of getting good data and all of the potential opportunities for use in advancing our research and patient impact. If you are a software engineer who likes to focus your talents on creative data capture and manipulation and would like to use your skills to advance analysis of clinical data, we want to meet you!
Your Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and build software tools for data processing, analysis, and reporting, for use by data managers, data science, and research to automate their workflows
- Create data flow models and business logic for large-scale digital health studies using software and third-party clinical data management systems, in collaboration with clinical data managers, researchers, and other stakeholders
- Implement data cleaning software and processes to ensure data integrity and identification and remediation of bugs in logic and software
- Build digital health data reporting functionality (automated, self-service, and manual) to support research and clinical operations
Experience and skill-sets to succeed in this role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical or Analytical field of study OR 3+ years of relevant tech experience (data science, data engineering, software engineering, etc.).
- Proficiency with relational databases (we use Postgres) and queries (a love of SQL really helps!)
- Ability to read, break down and eventually create scripts that process data (Python, R, Bash, etc.)
- Experience developing software tools for data monitoring, reporting, and analysis in a general-purpose programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc.)
- Passion for data integrity; close attention to detail
- Ability to monitor and evaluate the performance of complex processes; considering What happened? What should have happened?
- Ability to communicate process performance to cross-functional stakeholders
Competitive salary, generous vacation package, flexible schedule, health and dental, parental leave, free lunch 2x/week and always with a vegetarian/vegan option. Friday Journal Club\ Company Presentations — often by industry leaders in health and technology. Your teammates are also singers, cyclists, woodworkers, bookworms, animal lovers, artists, gardeners, athletes, parents, patients, caregivers, and all-around great people.