The healthcare system isn’t doing enough for patients, but you can help change that. PatientsLikeMe is leading the social medicine space by allowing people to: share their health data, track their progress, help others, and change medicine for good. Each time someone shares their experience, they’re helping the next person diagnosed learn what could really work for them, and helping researchers shorten the path to new treatments. We’re passionate about improving the lives of patients, improving the healthcare system, working on hard technical problems and doing all of this with teamwork. If you want to work with great people in an R&D organization on an initiative that matters, we want to talk to you. Come make a difference in patients’ lives with us!
Who are we hiring?
We’re excited to be hiring a Senior/Principal Operations Engineer, full-time or part-time (3-4 days a week), to join our growing team. Our Operations (DevOps) Engineers work as a team on the continuous support of our web-site as well as large projects aimed at improving our systems and infrastructure.
A Senior DevOperations Engineer at PatientsLikeMe typically has at least 3 years of experience in the field. We don’t have specific education requirements, but you should have experience with: Configuration Management, a Programming Language or AWS (it’s great if you know all three!)
We use Chef, Terraform, Ruby, Python and whatever else it takes to not ever log into an actual system. We treat infrastructure as code; if it’s not checked in it doesn’t make it to production.
More about what you’ll do in this role:
- Participate in all stages of infrastructure provisioning - from architecture design through application deployment
- Write excellent, performant code and associated tests
- Removing complexity wherever possible
- Engineering robust systems
- Continually re-evaluating and improving tools, technologies, processes
- Architecting modern application infrastructure
- Monitor our infrastructure, and take part in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Discuss product requirements with others, both inside and outside of engineering
- Move multiple three-tier web applications to Elastic Container Service
- Support full lifecycle of PLM assets and infrastructure
- Help build a world-class system to manage complex ETL’s
- Build tooling to support the team as necessary
- Work with software engineers to improve and maintain CI/CD pipelines
- Working with scientists making their bio process pipelines ‘production ready’ (It’s OK if you don’t know what this is)
More about what we’re looking for:
- Thorough knowledge of configuration management tools (We use Chef with Test Kitchen, but as long as you’ve touched config management, you’ll be fine)
- Experience with object-oriented languages (Ruby, Python)
- Experience administering and tuning databases (we use PostgreSQL)
- Ability to operate in a cloud environment such as AWS
- Believer in configuration management and documentation
- Experience working with software teams and using source control. We use Git.
- Team player, be able to teach as well as learn. We really like working together.
Competitive salary, generous vacation package, flexible schedule, health and dental, free lunch 2x/week and a company discussion/presentation — usually by industry leaders in health and technology. Your teammates are also musicians, home-brewers, artists, gardeners, athletes and all-around great people.