PatientsLikeMe is undertaking the challenge of measuring, modeling, and building a digital representation of human physiology to describe health, disease, and aging. Our goal is to use that to directly empower patients to better understand their own health, and in doing so to transform how we all live, our healthcare system, and the choices we make to serve human health itself. We aim to empower individuals with the tools to use physiology to live their lives to their maximum potential.
This critical position will work directly with our Co-Founder, Jamie Heywood (link to bio), serving as his right hand during this time of explosive growth, development and change for the organization. Jamie is relentless, critical, and forgiving. This is no typical Executive Assistant role: it is a crash-course, real-life business school. It is a demanding but flexible intellectual exercise partnering with a leader who is as passionate about furthering health and disease research as he is about building a company culture and employee experience which supports these efforts. We’re in need of an exceptionally bright, intrinsically motivated self-starter who will be as committed to the smallest details and demands of the role as they are about seeing the big picture and developing this role into their next career aspiration. If you are looking for a role that will push you as much as reward you, keep reading, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
- Serves as primary executive administrative support for Jamie Heywood, Co-Founder of PatientsLikeMe. Day-to-day Support includes but is not limited to:
- Calendar Management
- Meeting Coordination
- Travel Coordination
- Expense Processing
- Requires exceptional level of poise and professional maturity to manage competing priorities
- Assists with decision making on schedules, handling communications, and rescheduling appointments when necessary.
- Researches issues and prepares talking points for internal and external meetings, as well as for speeches and presentations.
- Appropriately escalate issues, scheduling needs and other requests to assist with work and schedule prioritization.
- Requires ability to prioritize and be self-directed with own work in support of the executive.
- Ensures meeting materials are prepared and available in advance of appointments. When needed, can also assist with the development and production of said materials e.g. PowerPoint slides, reports and other written materials.
- As a member of the administrative team at PatientsLikeMe, assist with event scheduling and coordination for events at Cambridge headquarters.
What does success look like?
- Bring your exceptional writing skills to the table, as you’ll be communicating with senior executives and the whole of PatientsLikeMe.
- You’ll be comfortable and adept at working at a fast-pace and being proactive.
- You’ll be able to juggle multiple projects and priorities at once with superb accuracy, detail orientation and excellent time management skills.
- You’ll demonstrate the ability to maintain composure and sense of humor in high-pressure situations
- You demonstrate maturity, strategic thinking, polished approachability, and an ability to be a quick-thinker and learner in a nuanced professional environment.
- Passionate about our mission and the opportunity to work in a top-tier startup environment
Jamie is an energetic, self-starter whose mind never rests. He is demanding but fair and has a track record of recognizing, acknowledging and supporting talent. He is someone who is in a relentless pursuit of perfection across multiple disciplines. He is deeply passionate about improving the human condition. This isn’t a job, it’s a life’s work. Jamie has written and spoken many times about the opportunities and obligations we have to further this cause. To experience him a bit, we recommend viewing his talk at TEDMED 2009.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of experience.
- Experience managing up to an extremely busy executive addressing competing priorities.
- Strong sense of urgency and problem-solving skills
- Track record of consistently going above and beyond
- Strong computer skills particularly in the MS Office Suite. Experience with Google Apps and other technologies a plus.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Able to be available in “off-hours” via phone and email when needed.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. to complete general office support tasks.
- Bonus Points: Startup and/or experience in a hyper-growth organization preferred. Experience in a political environment or campaign is also valuable.