The iCarbonX Computational Biology team is excited to be expanding and hiring a new Scientist or Senior Scientist to our group. The remit for our team is to help patients understand their own biology and how it relates to their experience and clinical evaluation, as well as how they may be able to change their daily life to optimally thrive. To this end, we are in the extraordinary position of building a massive health data set that spans over 20 different disease conditions and is captured on an ever-increasing arsenal of state-of-the-art big data platforms: including DNAseq, RNAseq, methylomics, proteomics, antibody immunosignatures, immunosequencing, metabolomics; as well as our unique, extensive patient-reported health data. We are continually evaluating the newest technologies in high-throughput biological measurements and analysis. Together these data will be used to uncover novel biomedical insights that profoundly help patients navigate their path to a healthier state.
Our group largely consists of Molecular Biologists who have realized that to answer important questions in disease biology, you need to learn a decent amount of computational biology. We are driven firstly by a passion to understand molecular human physiology, and we are not afraid to learn statistics and scripting languages to solve important problems. The ideal candidate would have a solid track record of using computational tools to answer systems-level biological problems.
As Scientist/Sr. Scientist in Computational Biology, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Identify and interpret biological patterns within high-throughput molecular data across diverse disease spaces.
- Distill and convey meaningful results from vast amounts of data to non-biologists, including colleagues and patients, about how the patient’s biology relates to their experience and clinical evaluation.
- You will work within a team of dedicated scientists to provide biological analysis of multi-omic measurements taken from thousands of individuals.
- Immediate tasks include:
- Identify and implement cutting-edge computational approaches to find biological patterns within high-throughput molecular data across,
- Build data-driven computational models of molecular disease mechanisms and treatment response mechanisms,
- Research relevant literature support,
- Build computational models of clinical decision algorithms and outcome measures,
- Become adept at relating complex molecular computational findings back to patients living with disease.
- You will be able to think through meaningful ways of collecting data, including patient-reported outcomes, to answer the biological questions most important within different disease areas.
- We have a particular need at present for someone who can provide systems-level biological interpretation of metabolomics data from human blood.
Education and Professional Experience:
- Scientist position: Ph.D. with 0-2 years of experience, or a Master’s/Bachelor’s with 3-5 years of experience.
- Senior Scientist position will be considered, commensurate with relevant experience.
- Degrees should be within biological sciences, which would include computational biology and bioengineering, if research conducted was predominately focused on the understanding of biological mechanisms of human disease.
Additional Skills and Experience Requirements:
The candidate should have practical knowledge or direct experience in most of these areas:
- Highly creative when thinking about new ways of exploring patient biology using computational methods
- Strong understanding of the molecular drivers of different diseases, and can come up to speed in new disease areas quickly. Knowledge of immunology is a plus
- Must have experience with complex analysis of large molecular datasets (e.g., transcriptomics, proteomics, and/or metabolomics)
- Proficiency in R (and Python a plus)
- Familiarity with molecular/physiological/disease/etc. ontologies
- Has excellent written and oral communication skills – can explain complex biological concepts to non-biologists
- Thrives in a fast-paced, mission-driven atmosphere
- Is flexible, can work seamlessly in teams, and meets deadlines
- Must be local to our Cambridge office, or willing to relocate
In April 2018, we formed the iCarbonX group with the merger of 3 companies - iCarbonX, PatientsLikeMe, and HealthTell. Our vision is to fundamentally transform the healthcare & wellness of individuals & communities by unlocking the power of deep & dynamic digitization of biological information. By combining multi-omics biological data, smart device biophysical data and patient’s phenotypic data with artificial intelligence, iCarbonX will enable a real-time, deep assessment on one’s health and wellness, and deliver a personalized guide and range of products to help people live a healthy, longer life. To achieve our vision, we are developing state of the art multi-omics technology platforms to digitalize biological data and apply insights gained from the process into development of medical and wellness products.
iCarbonX is an equal opportunity employer.