Engineering Summer Internship
The health care system doesn't work for patients. But you can help change that. PatientsLikeMe is leading the social medicine space by focusing on the sharing of real-world data. If you want to work with great people for a well-funded startup on a web app that that matters, we want to talk to you. Come make a difference in patients' lives with us!
Technology we use
- Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Sass, jQuery, Haml
- Ember, React
- Git and Github
- Passenger, Capistrano, and Chef
- Resque + Sidekiq
- ExactTarget and wearable APIs
- ...and much more!
Why you should intern with us
- Technology: Immerse yourself in one of the most popular web frameworks, Ruby on Rails, which is used by companies such as Github, AirBnb, Bloomberg, and Kickstarter.
- Agile: Learn about our agile process and gain experience in industry best practices
- Pairing and Mentoring: We highly value mentorship, and believe that engineers all have something to learn from each other. Interns will have an opportunity to pair program regularly with other engineers.
- Git: Gain experience in one of the most widely used version control systems. Learn how we use Github to facilitate conversation about our code and its quality, and how our we release our code with engineers’ participation..
- Testing/TDD: In software and web development tests are an important step to check that new bugs are not introduced with new code. Learn first hand how tests are vital to software development, and what you should and should not test.
- Meetings: Yup, we said it. We enjoy meetings that continue to foster sharing new ideas within the team, and interns (you!) are a part of that. Interns are able to attend meetings where we discuss important areas like operations, performance, and our bi-weekly Engineering Meeting where we discuss interesting technical problems or challenges.
- Work towards implementing a full story that will be shipped to production!
- Participate in all stages of software development - from early brainstorming to bug fixing and feature development.
- Write clean, readable, and maintainable code that is well-tested and robust.
- Help reduce tech debt and bugs.
- Work on both front and back-end code.
- 10 - 12 week minimum time commitment
- Experience with object-oriented languages (Ruby, Python, Java)
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Must be local to the Boston area for interviewing; no travel or relocation assistance provided
- Preference given to current juniors (graduating 2019)
- Please include a code sample (file or link to a github repository)
- Please include a cover letter stating why you would be interested in interning with PatientsLikeMe
The application deadline is February 16th. If selected, the interview process will consist of a phone screen and onsite interview. Thank you for your interest & we hope to hear from you!