About the Role
Are you highly experienced in accounting and reporting? Do you want to join the fastest growing technology company in Charlotte? As Passport’s VP, Accounting, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will be focused on a range of tactical and strategic accounting areas, and you’ll do this in our incredibly fast-paced, exciting, and constantly changing environment. You will dig into the details of our books and help our team transform the accounting function, positioning it for the next level of scale with our rapid growth. The VP, Accounting will help us get at our data and results quicker, and with greater accuracy, to help provide the visibility that the leadership team needs to make strategic decisions, all while strengthening our internal controls. In addition, the VP, Accounting will drive process efficiency including use of automation to create greater capability across the function and the company as a whole.
- Leading the accounting function for the organization (general ledger, technical accounting, external reporting, revenue recognition, billing, collections, tax, payroll and accounts payable) on a day-to-day basis
- Leading the financial close process on a monthly basis, generating fast, automated and accurate financial results
- Preparing cyclical reporting statements according to US GAAP
- Leading the management, maintenance and continued improvement of our financial systems
- Regularly finding ways to improve all activities and process in an environment of rapid growth and change
- Maintaining a documented system of accounting policies and procedures, and researching new accounting topics as necessary
- Ensuring corporate policies regarding financial management and control are in place, adhered to, and continually improved and documented
- Managing Passport’s federal, state and local tax compliance
- Leading and managing the audit process on an appropriate cadence throughout the year
- Navigating internal and external barriers to continue driving forward with accounting processes, serving as the primary escalation point for team members
- Communicating effectively with all areas of the business involved with accounting, including the senior leadership team and other teams such as product and sales
- Managing external relationships with auditors and other service providers
- Supporting the negotiation and approval of all contracts with outside vendors across business areas
- Supporting the overall departmental and business planning process including strategic planning, fixed asset maintenance and cost center reporting (both short and long term)
- Coordinating w/ international accounting firm partners to close books in UK and India on a monthly basis
- Participate in financial due diligence and lead the financial integrations of acquisitions
- Leading and/or participating in other ad-hoc finance related projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA are required
- At least 12 years of experience in accounting and/or auditing, with a minimum of 5 years as the leader of the company’s accounting function as the Controller or higher, having full ownership of the month end close process and basic internal reporting, required.
- Expertise with all areas of the close process, including billings, reconciliations
- Current proficiency with GAAP, especially revenue recognition and other key areas pertinent to SaaS companies.
- Experience with both building infrastructure within the accounting function and driving process improvements with internal partners across the organization
- Experience with industry-leading ERP systems, such as Netsuite, Intacct, SAP, Oracle; Netsuite experience is a plus
- Experience managing commercial banking relationships and credit facilities
- Experience supporting preparation of materials for leadership / board deck presentations
- Elite expertise in Excel and financial models
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and people skills - numbers are key, but a business is built with people
- Keen attention to detail with a sense of urgency: nothing will get in the way of delivering your goals
- Process, problem-solving, strategic, and continuous improvement mindset
- Experience with stock option and equity accounting preferred
- Experience in a rapid growth SaaS company is a plus
- Works cross-functionally in a collaborative, planful, and fast-paced manner
- Builds effective teams
- Drives results
- Manages complexity
- Strategic mindset
- Communicates effectively
- Instills trust
- Financial and business acumen
- Situational Adaptability
You are an accounting and financial whiz and you can communicate with the best. Simply put, you have a good grasp of the finance continuum – from the financial close process to the business analytics that come out of it. People enjoy working with you, your team respects you, and you can bring clarity and value to complex situations with large amounts of data. You have an eagle-eye for details, and love to figure out how to make everything tick and tie correctly. You have no problem rolling up your sleeves and digging into our data and processes.
You are someone who thrives in a rapidly changing organization with rapid revenue growth. You love the intensity and constant change. You are bold - you understand that “business as usual” and “manual processes” just aren’t the right response. You listen, collaborate, take note of alternate viewpoints, and implement the best solutions. You can balance short and long-term objectives and always hit your deadlines. You are passionate about technology, immerse yourself in the culture, and are excited to contribute to Passport’s amazing growth goals. In short, you are a well-rounded accounting rock star.
You will have the opportunity to wear several hats, and you should be comfortable learning new things and taking on new responsibilities. You’ll spearhead strategic initiatives. You have read the books, you’ve followed the blogs, and as someone committed to continual improvement, you’re excited to improve the overall practice of accounting and finance at Passport.
Passport is transforming mobility management for cities, empowering them to create more livable and equitable communities. Passport’s mobility platform enables clients to digitally coordinate all modes of transportation and implement real-time, data-centric management of their curbside and streetspace through its enterprise software. Trusted by nearly 1,000 cities, universities and agencies, including Chicago, Toronto, London, Los Angeles, and Miami, Passport is one of the fastest growing companies on the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte Technology Fast 500 lists. Passport is backed by Rho Capital Partners, H.I.G. Growth Partners, ThornTree Capital Partners, Bain Capital Ventures, Grotech Ventures, MK Capital, and Relevance Capital. For more information, visit passportinc.com.
Passport provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.