Parsec’s goal is to help businesses embrace flexible work environments and keep their employees productive through ultra low latency, high performance, remote desktop technology. But Parsec isn’t your typical remote desktop tool. It was built for gaming, which makes it great for everything. Parsec for Teams leverages our technology to help some of the biggest names in gaming, entertainment, engineering, architecture, and more transition to a flexible work environment where people can decide when and where they work. Parsec has allowed customers like Electronic Arts, Blizzard, Ubisoft, and Square Enix to stay on schedule as they make some of the world’s favorite content.
With a recent Series B led by Andreesen Horrowitz, Parsec is growing so that we can power flexible work across industries. The average Parsec for Teams user is already saving more than an hour each day using our software. That time gets put back into work, family, health, and more. We think this kind of freedom makes people happier, healthier, and more productive.
We value diversity and talent over experience. We believe a small team that collaborates well can accomplish more than a large team bogged down with process. At Parsec it’s everyone’s job to understand the customers’ problems and come up with creative solutions. As an engineer you don’t just write code, you design and build a product.
We believe in simple and robust solutions. Our app is written in C and compiles into a 3.5mb executable. Our backend is written in Go and runs serverless on AWS. We avoid bloat and dependencies, preferring to roll our own implementations tailored for our unique needs and with a focus on performance.
Parsec is hiring a Senior Engineer to take a leadership role in the development of our core low latency game streaming technology. The Parsec core technology is the foundation of everything we’ve accomplished as a company, so the engineer we hire for this role will be a pivotal part of our team and growth plans. We’re looking for someone who will join our team, drive innovation in the core technology, and mentor other engineers at Parsec. To be successful, you’ll need to be able to jump into C code without breaking a sweat, understand how graphics APIs (DirectX, OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulcan) work, and build lean, modularized, maintainable code.
You’ll be working closely with our co-founder and CTO, Chris Dickson, to accelerate the development of our core game streaming technology. We expect that you will:
- Work with rendering APIs, encoding and decoding libraries, and building optimizations for Parsec’s core technology across Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and the Raspberry Pi
- Jump into a C codebase on day one and confidently deploy code to more than 5 million people
- Be fascinated with building cutting edge technology in gaming from video rendering to UDP protocols
- Be obsessed with finding the right, low latency solution to the challenges we face
- Listen to customer feedback, interpret the needs of the broader community, and find opportunities to delight our customers
We’re looking for a diverse set of experiences, and no one will be ruled out for this role. That being said, we’re hoping you’ll have some combination of these:
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge about graphics APIs on several platforms
- Worked on developing your own game engine, or worked at a low level with unity, unreal engine, or any other game engine.
- Experience with SDL and window management
- 5-10 years of experience developing C or similarly low-level applications
- A deep desire to learn, improve a product, and make customers happy
- Although not necessary, it’s definitely a bonus if you’ve worked in the video game industry or your wasd keys are worn out from playing too many games on your computer.