Note to applicants: our headquarters is located in Berlin, but Parity has teammates distributed across the EU and beyond. Remote working arrangements are common and possible; we're happy to discuss this more during the recruiting process!
Every day we interact with technologies controlled by a handful of large companies whose interests and incentives often conflict with our own. If we want the benefits of using their proprietary apps, we’re forced to agree to terms that most of us will never read, granting these companies far-reaching control over our digital lives.
At the same time, progress in open-source and decentralized technologies like blockchain has shown that we can build systems that prioritize individual sovereignty over centralized control. With these new technologies, there’s no need to trust any third parties not to be or become evil
Parity Technologies is a team of the world’s premiere blockchain developers building industry-leading technologies that enable developers to create this next wave of better products and services. You’ll join at a critical moment when the future of the decentralized web is being shaped, and perform an influential role in making a more equitable society for our future.
We primarily steward the Substrate ecosystem, which includes Polkadot and Kusama, next-generation sharded, multichain networks. Our flagship product, Substrate is an open-source, modular and extensible blockchain-building framework that allows rapid innovation and fast deployment of custom built blockchains. Substrate provides the core building blocks of blockchains built for deployment to Polkadot and Kusama.
As the Director of Developer Relations you will:
- Partner with senior leadership and key stakeholders to develop, execute and continuously improve our overall developer relations strategy with an initial focus on English-speaking markets aimed at... (in descending priority):
- Growing and retaining the number of developers skilled in working with our blockchain framework Substrate.
- Growing Substrate’s brand recognition and advocacy amongst developers.
- Supporting our internal developer experience and engineering teams with user insights and product feedback.
- Supporting developers actively working with Substrate day-to-day.
- Increasing the number of contributors that regularly commit high-quality code to Substrate repositories.
- Define and execute our developer events strategy to cover a diverse set of on- & offline events such as developer conferences, technical meetups, hackathons, coding challenges, webinars and developer career fairs.
- Define and execute our developer education strategy ensuring great educational offerings are readily available via channels such as university courses, MooCs, professional training programs, Youtube and Twitch.
- Define and execute our open-source developer support strategy delivering first class support to our users via channels such as Stack Overflow and chat.
- Define and execute a strategy for continuous collection, aggregation and synthesis of developer feedback on Substrate and its documentation to support our Developer Experience team with meaningful insights.
- Partner with Marcomms to support our content marketing, social media, and events needs, specifically with regard to targeting developers via KOL programs and key developer channels such as programming blogs, Reddit, Twitter, and Discord.
- Support the open source contributor experience. With thousands lines of code contributed by 100+ external contributors across our various repos, Parity has had significant engagement already. Yet we’re just on day one.
- Build, lead and develop a global team to execute on above strategies. With your input, expertise and professional network, your team may consist of the following roles to be hired:
- Developer Advocate [4x]
- Partnerships Lead
- Partnerships Manager
- Committer Program Manager
- Developer Support Lead
- Support Engineer [3x]
- Developer focus: You are obsessed with making developers happy. You were a full-time developer in a previous life but prefer to work with the developer community to improve their experience and support through education.
- You have 5+ years of experience leading developer relations, technology evangelism, sales engineering or community advocacy programs, preferably open source in nature.
- You have built and directly managed a team before, perhaps as a manager, senior manager or director.
- You are analytical and data driven in your approach to building and nurturing communities.
- You know how to collaborate with marketing to build and optimise pipelines and can articulate how to use automation for our various funnels.
- You have experience facilitating sensitive and complex community situations with humility, empathy, judgment, tact, and humor.
Further relevant experience:
- Experience with decentralized web or blockchain technologies.
- Established credibility and recognition in speaking engagements and technology publications is preferred, as is a history of successful speaking engagements and industry influence.
- Having an existing network from a diverse set of communities and social media platforms.
- Working at Parity means focusing on the stuff that counts: building the most cutting-edge technology for the future web. Our teams enjoy a high degree of trust, freedom and autonomy to achieve that goal.
- Because we value initiative and learning, we've defined a generous personal budget to attend conferences or skills courses of your choosing. We think you know what's best for you!
- Parity is a diverse company with people from various countries, and we will support you with German or English language courses where needed.
- Not all of us who collaborate work in the same place. Bringing the team together is something we value a lot, so we regularly go on team retreats (subject to current pandemic restrictions for the health of our contributors and teams).
To see how we use your data please see our Applicant Notice.