LOCATION: San Francisco, Remote
THE COMPANY: Parallax Volatility Advisers, LP (“Parallax”)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Head of Information Technology
Summary Description of Role:
The Information Technology group at Parallax Volatility Advisors is seeking an experienced systems engineer to join the infrastructure team. Activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and participate in discussions pertaining to technical strategy; technical analysis and design; and support of technical staff in executing, testing and rolling-out solutions. Our primary focus is to improve the stability and performance of the environment, maintaining and improving the security posture of our systems, continuous monitoring of system health, and troubleshooting issues that arise. This individual will be part of a team that is responsible for all servers/desktops that support the firm including those that support front, middle and back-office operations; Responsibilities on these systems include engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance, research, and lifecycle management.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures; contribute to and maintain system standards; create and maintain documentation as it relates to configurations
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system & security monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems, and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media and integrity checked regularly
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Adhere to firm Change Management, Problem Management policies and familiarity with ITIL or other formalized IT operations foundations
- Must have ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff both verbally and in writing. Skill in writing concise, understandable, technical documentation is required
- Flexibility in work hours as well as ability to handle shifting priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment is necessary
- Ability to work within a team environment and independently
- Experience implementing/supporting desktop virtualization such as VDI and DaaS.
- Passionate about delivering a secure, stable, and continually improving environment.
- Participate in designing and regularly testing Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity for desktop and server systems
- 5-10 years experience managing in a Windows environment
- Must be a U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis
- Willingness to work market hours (if on the west coast)
- Storage Management
- System Monitoring & Alerting
- Patch Management Systems
- Team player
- Customer focused attitude
- Strong work ethic and follow through
- Strong attention to detail
- Microsoft Stack (Active Directory, Exchange, DFS-R, SQL, GPO, DNS, DHCP)
- Experience with AWS (EC2, Workspaces, VPC Peering, Direct Connect)
- Current and In-depth knowledge of Linux System Administration (Primarily CentOS)
- Virtualization, specifically VMWare
- Scripting, primarily Powershell
Parallax offers extremely competitive compensation and benefits, including (not limited to): 100% paid health insurance, 401(k) plan, Flexible Time Off, cell/internet reimbursement and continuing education opportunities.
Parallax is an equal opportunity employer.
Please no calls or recruiters.