Panorama is a fast-growing national technology company focused on radically improving education. More than 1,500 school systems serving 13 million students across all 50 states have adopted our platform to understand students’ academic and social-emotional strengths and to identify those in need of additional support. School systems turn to our suite of tools to ensure that every child gets the support they need, including school climate and social-emotional learning surveys, tiered intervention planning, and professional development.
Panoramians can choose to work fully remote, in-person from our Boston/San Francisco offices, or a hybrid option.
About the Role
At Panorama, we have a big-picture vision to radically improve student outcomes by helping educators act on data and improve their practice. Our data science activities run the gamut from data extraction and pipeline engineering to statistical modeling and data visualization. In this role, your primary goal will be to leverage data science to advance critical research and development (R&D) efforts for our products.
- Compile, clean, manage, analyze, and visualize large, one-of-a-kind educational datasets that include longitudinal, high-frequency data from millions of students, including their academic performance, in-class behavior, school attendance, and social-emotional competencies
- Innovate and help engineer data pipelines and infrastructure to enable product development and educational research
- Apply traditional and modern statistical techniques to creatively address key questions of practical and theoretical interest, such as the causal impact of educational interventions on student outcomes
- Imagine and help implement data-driven products that aid educators to better support students
- Collaborate closely with other data scientists, researchers, engineers, designers, and product managers
- Concisely summarize extant scholarship and best practices to make that knowledge usable for other team members
- Work with colleagues and company leadership to develop our data science strategy, priorities, and practices
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- Have demonstrable expertise in using data and analytics to reveal insights and improve decision-making
- Can manipulate large datasets through parallel computing (e.g. Dask, concurrent.futures in Python, multidplyr in R) and convert them into analyzable formats
- Have broad expertise in traditional and modern statistical methods including, for example, regression, multilevel modeling, psychometrics, dimension reduction, clustering, machine learning, and causal inference
- Are fluent in one or more relevant programming languages (e.g., Python, R), data manipulation tools within programming language(s) (e.g., Pandas, dplyr) and RDBMSs (e.g, PostgreSQL)
- Can program scripts (e.g., for data cleaning) not available in existing packages
- Are a team player who thrives in a collaborative, small-team environment
- Have formal education or training in data engineering, data science, or statistics
- Have prior experience working with software engineers and/or product managers as a data scientist, engineer, or analyst
- Bonus: Prior experience working with K-12 educational data or at an ed tech company
Panorama excitedly hosts two in-person "all team meetings" a year. All Panoramians attend and travel/hotels are provided. (Paused due to Covid)
Panorama Education is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive company because we serve students, educators and families from tremendously diverse backgrounds and identities across the country; we’ve seen how our product and impact are strengthened the more we reflect that diversity. In addition, we have found (and we believe the research) that diverse teams are higher-performing, and we embrace the varied perspectives that our team members share with each other. As such, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Panorama also has a policy on maintaining a drug-free workplace.