Compensation and Benefits Manager
Panorama Education, based in Boston, is a fast-growing technology startup focused on radically improving education. Today, 900 school systems serving ten million students have adopted the Panorama platform as paying customers including the entire states of Iowa and Hawaii as well as large districts like New York City, San Francisco, and Dallas. School systems turn to Panorama to ensure that each child is getting the support they need, so that more students succeed in school, graduate, and go on to college. Panorama helps educators monitor how students are doing across academics, attendance, behavior, and college readiness, and then coordinate action to support each child. Panorama’s platform also helps educators collect data about non-academic factors that are key to each child’s success in school and in life, such as social-emotional skills, safety, teacher-student relationships, and family engagement. Panorama has raised $45 million from Emerson Collective, YCombinator, Spark Capital, Owl Ventures, Uncork, and others.
About the Role:
We're looking for a Compensation and Benefits Manager to join our growing People and Panorama teams. As the Compensation and Benefits Manager, you will be responsible for leading and managing Panorama’s compensation, benefits, leaves, payroll administration, and HRIS processing programs in accordance with current Federal and State Law. You will research industry best practices, assess current organizational practices and make recommendations on how to maximize our total rewards approach to support Panorama’s overall growth, particularly our talent acquisition and retention strategies. . You will serve as Panorama's subject matter expert and will work with other departments and our broker and vendors on best practices as well as serve as the point of contact for our employees.
This role will report to the Vice President of People and will be 100% remote until July 2021. After that time, it will be based out of our downtown Boston office.
- Develop and establish Panorama’s compensation philosophy along with implementation strategy to operationalize it.
- Lead the review and evaluation of compensation across job titles and departments to ensure pay is equitable and in alignment with Panorama’s compensation.
- Lead the strategy, design and execution of Panorama’s total compensation, stock options, equity, and benefits programs to help us attract and retain the best talent, while balancing our bottom line and business objectives.
- Monitor, track, and report all stock options, grants, equity, modifications and exercises across a fast growing pre-IPO company.
- Conduct annual compensation analysis, in collaboration with the Finance Team to ensure internal and external equity, while evaluating data and market sample size and researching compensation vendors to ensure all of our roles are adequately represented.
- Partner with the Revenue Teams/Finance team on creating the Sales and Account Management team variable compensation plans and manage quarterly commissions payout process.
- Manage and track compensation changes, including annual salary increases and research market to ensure new hire compensation is in line with current pay in similar organizations and demographic regions.
- Manage overall administration and compliance of all benefit programs including medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401k, wellness, etc.
- Partner with insurance broker and plan carriers related to plan design, plan administration and compliance with applicable employment laws and lead annual benefit renewals taking into consideration feedback from leadership, market research and cost analysis.
- Research and assess benefit options, levels, mix, and cost of benefit offerings and make recommendations on changes or additions to support the company’s growth and talent acquisition/retention strategies.
- Review employee benefits programs to ensure proper budgeting of benefit costs, run reports and identify high-cost claims and/or options.
- Lead annual open enrollment process including communication to the organization, organizing benefit fair events and updating benefit enrollment information.
- Ensure employees are well-informed about their benefits and serve as primary contact with plan providers to ensure proper administration of benefit plans and employee support.
- Lead benefits onboarding session with new hires.
- Manage, track, and administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations and ensure necessary corresponding changes are made to payroll.
- Ensure compliance with all governmental regulations related to benefit programs and labor law (ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, HIPAA, etc) and submit all government-mandated benefit reports.
- Respond to all Unemployment Claims in a timely manner and ensure that documentation is accurate for claim purposes, including preparing term letters, COBRA, payout information and any circumstances surrounding the reason for termination, i.e. resignation letters, discharge reasons, warning, email correspondence, affidavits, etc.
- Manage and track all employee leaves (FMLA, parental leave, STD, LTD, LOA, etc) and work with vendors on approval process, paperwork administration, medical documentation, employee communication in accordance with State or Federal regulations.
- Develop tracking mechanisms using payroll software or other electronic tools to ensure accuracy and reporting capability.
- Manage and adhere to all rules, policies, changes, administration for PFML leave and serve as designated “Leave Administrator” on record for MA.
- Manage WC claims as required.
- Prepare/post OSHA 300 reports per schedule.
- Process semi-monthly and bi-weekly payroll including payroll changes, and partner with the Finance team to process severance payments.
- Register states for new state taxes for remote employees.
- Run reports pertaining to human resources requirements such as EEO and ADEA. Maintain record keeping of accurate records to comply with EEO guidelines and regulations.
What We’re Looking For
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience managing and administering compensation, benefits, leaves, and payroll in a multi-state environment with a focus on ensuring equity.
- Bachelor’s degree with an HR emphasis or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience partnering with and evaluating compensation, payroll, and benefit brokers and vendors.
- Advanced experience with compensation, benefit, and payroll design and administration.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, communication and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of excel and related HR systems and portals supporting compensation, payroll, and benefits.
- CBP, CEBS, CCP certifications are a big plus.
- Experience at a high-growth technology company highly preferred
- Working knowledge of government regulations related to benefit programs (ERISA, FMLA, COBRA, HIPAA, HCRA) preferred
- HRIS system management preferred with experience choosing and implementing a new HRIS system a big plus
- Experience with Google Drive, Docs, Sheets preferred.
Panorama Education is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive company because we serve students, educators, and families from tremendously diverse backgrounds and identities across the country; we’ve seen how our product and impact are strengthened the more we reflect that diversity. In addition, we have found (and we believe the research) that diverse teams are higher-performing, and we embrace the varied perspectives that our team members share with each other. As such we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.