Community Engagement Specialist, Bilingual-Spanish (Hybrid Remote/In-Person, Full Time)
at Pair Team
About Pair Team
Pair Team is on a mission to improve the wellbeing of underserved communities through increased access to high-quality care.
We are the first tech-enabled care team that empowers safety-net primary care systems and the Medicaid & Medicare patients they serve. We act as an extension of the clinical staff to provide a personalized, high-touch care experience while addressing patients' barriers to care such as lack of transportation, housing/food insecurity, and mobile phone access. Internally, we are building a unique care delivery platform to ensure clinical best practices, integrate care with community-based organizations, and automate administrative work so that we can focus on time with our patients.
With both federal and state government alignment, community health centers are ready to move into value-based care and we are tackling the core staffing and access challenges to meet the needs of our communities.
- Trust: We consistently strive to earn the trust of our patients, our clinic partners, and our teammates.
- Growth: We grow together – as a company and as individuals.
- Accountability: We act like owners and take pride in our work.
- Act beyond yourself: Our vision and impact goes beyond ourselves and so must our actions.
About the Opportunity
Pair Team is building a team of deeply passionate individuals ready to change primary care operations for those who need it most. We are looking for a highly motivated full-time Community Engagement Specialist who is willing to think creatively and empathically to help our team change the way people access healthcare.
We are excited to partner with Federally Qualified, Non-Profit Health Centers in California’s San Bernardino county to enable their participation in CalAIM’s new Enhanced Care Management Medi-Cal benefit program, which provides long-term, whole-person care coordination, inclusive of behavioral health and social needs supports.
We seek a full-time Community Engagement Specialist to play a critical role in our whole-person, interdisciplinary care model, responsible for directly outreaching and engaging with individuals living with Serious Mental Illness/ Substance Use Disorder, experiencing homelessness, and/or those who have high medical needs. We believe in the power of trust and relationships to successfully engage those who may have never received the kind of whole-health care that Pair Team can provide. Focused on identifying, engaging, and enrolling people whose quality of life can be improved with the Enhanced Care Management benefit, the Community Engagement Specialist has lived experience in the local community, is an empathetic problem-solver, and works closely with our partner clinics, community organizations, and Pair Team’s care coordinators.
Build trust and develop relationships with individuals experiencing homelessness, living with Severe Mental Illness/Substance Use Disorder, and living with multiple chronic conditions
- Identifies and contacts members eligible for participation in Enhanced Care Management via in-person, telephonic, text-based, and email-based outreach
- Explains the services and benefits of Enhanced Care Management, understanding that many may have lived personal experiences causing them to be initially hesitant or distrusting of the health care system
- Seeks to listen openly to eligible members and meets them where they are – understanding that enrollment may require multiple outreaches and adopts a “it’s not my fault but it is my problem” attitude in all communication styles and approaches
- Leverages deep understanding of community and best-in-class customer service skills to gain trust with eligible members and enroll them in the program
- Achieves monthly engagement and enrollment targets
- Responsible for the initial entry, verification and maintenance of information in required Database, portals
- Proficiency in all additional internal/external technology tools utilized for the position
Serve as liaison between individuals, their clinic, and their Pair Team Care Coordinator
- Assists individuals in securing connection to Pair Team Care Coordinator after successful enrollment
- Conducts pre-eligibility screenings and intakes for eligible members
- Coordinate with clinics to solicit, reconcile, and prioritize eligibility outreach and status of outreach
- Provide necessary documentation and information to each clinic
- Promote effective and timely communication amongst internal teams, clinic partners and third-party facilities
Serve as face of Pair Team in community settings
- Offers education to local clinics and community service organizations regarding Pair Team’s services with a focus on linking eligible members to Pair Team’s Enhanced Care Management program
Must-Have Qualifications/The experience and attributes you can bring to this role include:
- Physically located in San Bernardino County, California and available to work 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST
- For work in Pair Team’s partner clinics: must have own reliable transportation and available to work in-person, on-site
- For work at home: must have quiet and HIPAA-compliant at-home work environment with reliable Internet connection and cell phone
- 2+ years of experience with community engagement, patient navigation or social work
- Knowledge of local community resources and behavioral health supports
- Strong understanding of cultural fluency
- Bilingual – English/Spanish
- Demonstrated professional or personal lived experience working closely with individuals experiencing complex chronic needs, homelessness, or Severe Mental Illness/Substance Use Disorder
- Strong technical skills and comfort with technology innovation, past experience with CRM databases, basic Excel, Word, email, and video conferencing
Candidate Profile/You will be a good fit if you have:
- A fantastic listener and skilled at “reading people” - able to understand how others may be feeling or thinking based on nuances, uncomfortable silences, or questions they ask
- Excellent communication skills – able to explain something completely new to someone who may be very unfamiliar or hesitant to engage
- Adopts a strong customer-service and “whole person” focus - those who have prior retail or customer service experience are just a few examples of those we’d love to hear from
- Takes accountability to resolve a customer’s needs to the best of his/her/their abilities
- Comfortable cold-calling, talking and building relationships with new people
- Zest for problem solving, seeking answers, and thinking outside the box
- Detail-oriented and organized self-starter
- Reliable and comfortable in an ever-changing environment
Because We Value You:
- Comprehensive health, vision & dental insurance
- Opportunity for rapid career progression with plenty of room for personal growth!
- Equity compensation package
- Monthly work from home expense stipend
- Flexible vacation policy with unlimited time off
- Hybrid work style – this role is primarily community-based but does have the option for some work-at-home