About Paidy, Inc.
Paidy is Japan's pioneer and leading BNPL service with the mission to spread trust through society and to give people room to dream.
Paidy offers instant, monthly-consolidated credit to consumers by removing hassles from payment and purchase experiences. Paidy uses proprietary models and machine learning to underwrite transactions in seconds and guarantee payments to merchants. Paidy increases revenue for merchants by reducing the number of incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating repeat purchases from consumers.
Paidy has reached an agreement to join PayPal, the global payments company. Paidy will continue to operate its existing business, maintain its brand and support a wide variety of consumer wallets and marketplaces by providing convenient and innovative services.
Paidy continues to innovate to make shopping easier and more fun both online and offline. For more information, please visit http://www.paidy.com.
The position is within the risk engineering team, which is tasked with designing, building, maintaining and operating the set of services that underwrites Paidy’s transactions. These services use machine learning models to predict credit risk and statistical models to detect, block and alert on fraudulent transactions in milliseconds. Recently our scope of work expanded to include designing, building and maintaining new internal web application tools that empower internal teams to experiment with and implement better fraud detection/prevention methods, credit risk policies, and collections policies to further maximize our revenue. We enjoy using Scala in a functional and pragmatic way to ease the burden of delivering quality backend software. We prefer simple solutions that allow us to iterate quickly and deploy them to production often. We value ownership and trust each other to deliver quality work in a timely manner.
Key Role and Responsibilities
- Work in cross-functional teams that include product owners, data scientists and other business domain engineers to deliver new features.
- Periodically evaluate if our services are meeting our security, maintainability, observability and reliability standards, capture any deficiencies and work with the rest of the team to address them.
- Work directly with product owners and stakeholders to ensure that new requirements will not degrade our platform’s performance, reliability or security.
- When assigned as a feature team lead, design and build consensus around new solutions architecture, build the technical implementation roadmap and work with the team to execute it.
Skills and Requirements
- Required to have:
- Knowledge of Functional Programming and/or Scala and its ecosystem
- Understanding of software architecture and design with the ability to align the overall service architecture
- Experience with building distributed systems, scalability and low latency software
- Experience with maintaining and further developing existing code bases
- Ability to work with non-experts, discuss their needs and help them formulate their requirements.
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-experts
- Showsinterestintheorganization's engineering strategy, product development strategy and how that aligns to the overall business strategy
- Ability to define task outlines and deliverables
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency when required
- Ability to manage some ambiguity and exercises good judgment when needed
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback tactfully upstream and downstream
- Excellent communication skills, ability to interact effectively with multidisciplinary teams
- Big plus if you have experience with:
- Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Kafka and Postgres
- CircleCI, AWS, Fargate, Terraform, Datadog
- Modern front end technologies
- Event Sourcing and CQRS
- Working on a payment platform or other fintech field
- Paidy team will ask about your user experiences with Paidy Apps during the interview. Please download Paidy App and try it out!
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/paidy/id1220373112
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paidy.paidy&hl=en&gl=US
For those who are not able to downloadPaidyApp,duetotheregional restrictions, please be advised that you download the similar App, such as Klarna, Afterpay, Affirm and so forth, and come up with your opinions on these applications and services.
- Please note that you must be eligible to work in Japan.
What We Offer You
- Diversified team with 221+ colleagues from 37+ countries
- Exciting work opportunities in a rapid-growing organization
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Flexible work-from-home arrangement
- Competitive salary and benefits
Be a winner / 勝ちにこだわる
- Beat expectations / 常に期待値を超える
- Display surprising speed / 人をスピードで驚かす
- Embrace risk / リスクを恐れない
Own it and deliver / 結果を出す
- Commit to what, when and how to deliver/ 目的・やり方・期限にコミットする。
- Own the actions to deliver / 結果のためのアクションにこだわる
- Embrace conflict when needed to deliver results / 必要なら対立・衝突も恐れない
Play an integral role / 大切なピースになる
- Make an irreplaceable contribution to our business / 替えの効かない貢献をする
- Embrace and bridge differences in language and culture / 皆が言語と文化の架け橋にな
- Raise the bar / スタンダードを上げ続ける