About Paidy Inc.
Paidy was founded with the mission to create a world of “We remove the barriers, embrace simplicity”, offering its real-time monthly consolidated credit service all across Japan.
Paidy started Japan’s first instant post-pay credit service for e-commerce consumers in October 2014. Paidy requires no pre-registration or credit card to use; Paidy consumers purchase products online using only a mobile phone number and email address (verification is established through a four-digit code via SMS or voice pin-code) and settle a single monthly bill for all their purchases, either at a convenience store, by bank transfer or auto-debit. Paidy also supports multi-pay installments and subscriptions. There are currently over 4,000,000 Paidy accounts in use (Oct 2020). Paidy has proved a powerful means of persuading first-time buyers to transact online. Its proprietary models and machine learning mean that transactions are underwritten in seconds, with guaranteed payment to merchants.
Paidy increases merchant revenues by reducing incomplete transactions, increasing conversion rates, boosting average order values, and facilitating easy repeat buying.
For more information visit http://www.paidy.com.
This position is for a Senior Software Engineer – Credit Card, reporting to the Consumer Finance Engineering Manager, who will lead and develop projects integrating with APIs for credit card integrations and other credit products. The position calls for a senior engineering role, meaning someone who can be a leader for projects as well as for people. The engineer in this role will likely be tasked with leading projects and would be a key person in the team leadership.
Our tech stack includes:
- Docker-based microservices written in the Rust Programming Language
- Other Paidy microservices written in Scala (outside the team, but have occasional interactions with these services in our team)
- AWS Services (fargate, RDS, lambda) with PostgreSQL DB
- Circle CI + terraform provisioning and deployment
- Linux/MacOS development environment
- HTTPS, SSL, X.509, and other secure technologies for secure communications
- HTTP REST and GraphQL APIs (JSON data)
- Kafka Message Queueing
Your Duties & Responsibilities:
- At least 5 years of backend development in multiple modern programming languages (C/C++, Java, Rust, Scala, Golang, Python, etc.)
- Extensive experience with designing software both from the ground up and making changes to existing applications (OO-design, Microservices, functional design, DDD, Domain/Protocol separation, etc.)
- Knowledge of systems development and operations (Docker, Redis, SQL DBs, AWS, Source-control, CI/CD systems, etc.)
- Understanding of OO-design principles
- Understanding of functional programming paradigm and methodologies
- Business-level fluency or higher in English
The following are encouraged, but not required:
- Deep development experience with multiple programming languages
- Intermediate knowledge of and experience with functional programming.
- 2+ years experience in the Fin-Tech industry, especially with banking systems and/or credit-card processing systems.
- Team-management or project lead experience leading teams of 3+ people on development projects.
- 5+ years experience with multiple backend programming languages
- Business-level or higher English (both reading and writing)
- Prior Rust or Scala experience is NOT a requirement
- Conversational fluency in Japanese is a plus (NOT required)
- Solid understanding of software engineering principles (OO, Functional Programming, software design, etc.)
The candidates are required to be legally permitted to work in Japan. Paidy would not be able to sponsor the work permits for now, until immigration restrictions from Japanese government are softened.
Paidy team will ask about your user experiences with Paidy App during the interview. Please download Paidy App and try it out!