As a Principal Front End Software Architect on our Platform team, you’ll be part of a fast-moving, high-performing, and innovative team tackling some of the most challenging front end problems in the company. You'll be our technical leader to research, architect, and evangelize our Front end strategy across Engineering-wide. This is a position for someone that loves the player coach model and rolling up your sleeves and working with a team to learn and execute our Front end ambitions.
As the Front end subject matter expert, you will be consulted with and leaned on to make critical technical decisions. You will bring a long term point of view to the organization, working closely with the Product and Engineering heads, and create Long Range Plans for technical Front end strategy that aligns with the company’s 3+ year goals. You bring a strong foundation on building enterprise SaaS products, excellent communication skills, and the ability to see the big picture. You may or may not code on a daily basis, but you could if needed.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Think long term and create a 3+ year vision for PagerDuty’s Front end technical strategy. The expectation is you are always researching and experimenting with new technologies but are focused on the practical-tactical near term.
- Be a coach and mentor to engineers of all experience levels. You’ve been a technical leader and really enjoy mentoring and leading projects and driving technical excellence within the team.
- Lead and drive technical decisions across multiple teams for Front end development.
- With 19,000+ global customers and growing, you’ll be solving really interesting technical challenges while helping to scale our Front end applications to keep up with demand and continually drive simple and clean modern applications.
Skills and Attributes
- You are empathetic - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome.
- You do good work and lots of it; the drive to deliver is just a part of you.
- You are an expert that has used React / Node.JS and have a knowledge of Ember. You have shipped multiple high usage React Web Applications and the benefits and costs.
- You have a good understanding of the full web service architecture/technologies (e.g. CDN, request headers, API design, service load balance/routing, disaster recovery).
- You have a strong passion for developing elegant and well-designed frameworks.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You can prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment with a results-oriented mindset.
- You have 10+ years designing, developing, and managing customer-facing SaaS applications and web-based systems using modern frameworks like React / Ember.
- You have experience in designing, building, and operating large systems with scalability, availability, and performance requirements.
- You have strong experience in designing and building REST APIs.
- Both Practical and tactical knowledge in using and architecting performant React applications.
- Prior React based commercial software applications
- Ability to understand and plan optimal path migrations between different front end technologies
- You focus on architecting front end software systems that maximize developer productivity and avoid “not built here” syndrome.
- You are focused on shipping
- You love delighting our users by working with design , product and software development teams to ship product consistently and reliably to schedule.
- You enjoy architecting front end systems and evangelizing, teaching and implementing to see those systems come to life.
- You have expert knowledge on deployment of production web applications utilizing React, and Node.JS.
- Experience with agile (scrum, kanban, lean) delivery methodologies.
- Public cloud engineering on AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP platforms.
- You have prior experience being the technical Front end architect for large, high growth enterprise SaaS products.
- You have experience with tools that ensure your high-quality work makes a smooth, automated, repeatable transition from your machine to our staging and production environments.
The base salary range for this position is 195,000 - 297,000 USD. This role may also be eligible for bonus, commission, equity, and benefits.
Our base salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range, which is subject to change based on primary work location, reflects the minimum and maximum base salary we expect to pay newly hired employees for the position. Within the range, we determine pay for an individual based on a number of factors including market location, job-related knowledge, skills/competencies and experience.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific offerings for this role, as well as the salary range for your primary work location during the hiring process.
PagerDuty is a global company focused on inclusion and employee well-being by building a culture that isn’t location specific and gives equal opportunity to everyone—regardless of where you are working.
As a Dutonian, you can expect competitive pay and benefits; structured learning, development, and advancement; immersion in our award-winning company culture; and exceptional colleagues. PagerDuty currently has offices in Atlanta, Lisbon, London, San Francisco, Sydney, Tokyo, and Toronto, with remote opportunities in those countries and Chile. We offer a hybrid, flexible workplace, while also providing ample opportunities for connection in-person and virtually with your fellow Dutonians.
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
One way we ensure our employees are inspired to do their best is through a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports them and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- Flexible work arrangements
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave - up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Paid volunteer time off - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
- Dutonian Wellness Days & Midyear Wellness Week - scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO and scheduled holidays
- HibernationDuty - a week each year when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a leader in digital operations management. In an always-on world, organizations of all sizes trust PagerDuty to help them deliver a better digital experience to their customers, every time. Teams use PagerDuty to identify issues and opportunities in real time and bring together the right people to fix problems faster and prevent them in the future. Notable customers include Cisco, Genentech, Electronic Arts, Cox Automotive, Shopify, Zoom, DoorDash and more.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, 50% of our board of directors is comprised of women, 45% of our managers are from underrepresented groups, and we are a proud member of the Pledge 1% Movement, committed to donating 1% Equity, 1% Employee time, and 1% Product to accelerate change in our communities.
PagerDuty is Great Place to Work-certified™, a Fortune Best Place to Work for Women, and a top rated product on TrustRadius and G2.
Go behind-the-scenes @pagerdutylife on Instagram.