We are interviewing and onboarding 100% virtually at this time. PagerDuty is focused on inclusion and employee well-being by building a culture that isn’t location specific and gives equal opportunity to everyone—regardless of where you are working. Unless your job requirements make it necessary to be in a company office, you may choose to work in-office, remotely, or hybrid.
Overview of the Role
We're looking for a proven hands-on technical leader passionate about shipping products for customers. As a Staff/Principal Software Engineer for the group, you'll help us take PagerDuty's customer-facing analytics insights product & APIs to the next level by architecting & extending our analytics platform for additional use-case diversity, long-term scale and resiliency. You'll also help us integrate more of PagerDuty's data into the product to deliver even more value to our customers. If that's not enough, you'll be joining at the ground-floor of PagerDuty introducing full-text search across the entire product! Search will change how users use PagerDuty. Come drive the scaling and extension of this exciting new capability for users and influence its direction for the long-term. We have lots of exciting and high impact work to do. Join us!How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Think long term and partner with the Director of Product and other peers in product management to build out a long term vision for our analytics products.
- Make key technical decisions by getting feedback and input from the rest of the team.
- Collaborate closely with the product development team on implementation of key initiatives and large projects
- Proactively recommend improvements and new approaches addressing potential systemic pain points and technical debt
- Actively participate and lead vendor evaluations, make technology recommendations, build vs. buy decisions, etc.
- Be a coach and mentor to engineers of all experience levels. You’ve been a technical leader and really enjoy mentoring and leading projects and driving technical excellence within the team.
- Communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders and partners.
- Partner with your peers in our data engineering group on end-to-end data system architecture
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Solving hard problems is what makes you tick. You relish a challenge.
- You’re a driver with a strong bias for action. You don’t just make observations; you drive outcomes
- You have a strong track record of delivering high-impact work for the business
- You have deep knowledge of various database technologies and understand their relative strengths/weaknesses and trade-offs.
- You are empathetic - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You can prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment with a results oriented mindset.
- You are deeply pragmatic and design & build systems that meet business needs while working within business constraints.
- You are capable of performing technical assessments of vendors and comfortable navigating build vs. buy decisions and making recommendations
- You have 10+ years designing, developing and managing customer facing applications and web based systems with high availability requirements
- Experience building user-facing public APIs
- You have operational experience in a cloud data warehouse technology such as redshift or snowflake
- You have operational experience with modern data stack patterns & tools (e.g. ELT, applying software engineering principles to data problems, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with data modeling, database design, extract transform load (ETL) processes and cloud-based data infrastructure
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
We are dedicated to providing a culture where our people are happy, enabled and inspired to do their best. One of the ways we do this is by developing a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports employees and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave - up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
- Dutonian Wellness Days - scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO and scheduled holidays
- HibernationDuty - a week each year when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a global leader in digital operations management, serving over 14,000 customers and 850,000 users worldwide, including 65% of the Fortune 100.
For the teams who build and run digital systems, PagerDuty is the best way to manage the urgent, mission-critical work that is essential to keeping digital services always on. We make it easy to handle any unplanned task, event, or opportunity, right away.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, 50% of our board of directors is comprised of women, 45% of our managers are from underrepresented groups, and we are a proud member of the Pledge 1% Movement, committed to donating 1% Equity, 1% Employee time, and 1% Product to accelerate change in our communities. We are Great Place to Work-certified™ and our product is top rated in its category on TrustRadius.
From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.