Sr. Engineering Manager
At Pachyderm, we're building an open-source enterprise-grade data science platform that lets you deploy and manage multi-stage, language-agnostic data pipelines while maintaining complete reproducibility and provenance. Our system, developed with open source roots, shifts the paradigm of data science workflows by providing reproducibility, data provenance, and opportunity for true collaboration. Pachyderm utilizes modern technologies like Docker and Kubernetes to build an entirely new method of analyzing data. Offered both as an in-house solution as well as hosted-service, Pachyderm brings together version-control for data with the tools to build scalable end-to-end ML/AI pipelines while empowering users to use any language, framework, or tool they want. If you want to learn more about our grand vision, read what has become our "manifesto."
Pachyderm is a rapidly growing, early-stage company funded by the top VC’s — Benchmark, Decibel, M12, and YCombinator. Like many modern companies, Pachyderm embraces a “Remote-first” approach to growing our team. It gives us a huge advantage in hiring top talent and diverse talent across the country while giving our team members the flexibility to work from anywhere.
As part of the engineering leadership team at Pachyderm, you will drive the charter to build a platform that is “Git for Data Science”. You will have an outsized impact on the team, product, and the company, guiding the product vision and enabling high-performing engineers to solve complex problems.
What You’ll Do
- Drive impact by leading your teams to deliver results with sustainable engineering practices
- Own project planning and execution of multiple features and releases
- Contribute to architecture, design, and code reviews. Also not be afraid to do some hands-on development/debugging to solve complex use cases
- Lead a team of high-performing engineers and tech leads. Help them grow their skillset through hands-on experience, mentorship, and feedback
- Nurture a culture of excellence on the team through hiring diverse and talented engineers, predictable execution, and a high level of quality
- Collaborate with others in engineering and product leadership to create and own the long-term roadmap and deliverables for your team
- Effectively communicate the roadmap and strategy within the team and across the organization
- Create and manage processes that enable team members to do their best work
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of industry experience with 2+ years in an engineering management role leading high functioning teams
- Ability to ensure a high hiring bar, develop and iterate on interview processes, and prioritize excellent candidate and interviewer experience throughout.
- Ability to keep engineers motivated, and be a coach/mentor
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development, data infrastructure, or back-end systems
- A great track record of shipping features and hitting deadlines consistently
- Ability to move fast, build in increments, and iterate
- A sense of urgency, a mindset towards achieving results, and excellent prioritization skills
- Ability to work effectively with stakeholders to influence product direction
- Must have strong communication skills when talking about technical concepts
- Focus on building and maintaining a culture of collaboration within the team
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Computer Science
Additional Highly Desirable Experience
- Major contributions to prominent and related open-source projects
- While it is a bonus, experience with Golang is not a strict requirement