We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm, headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade Building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It’s been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always providing value to the customer. Throughout the years, we’ve built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You’ll find a bit of everything here, and we’re always looking to take on new endeavours.
We want to expand our talented teams and are excited to be creating a new centre of excellence in Belfast. We are building teams that are fully functional with leadership, back- and front-end development, data engineering and testing, located in Northern Ireland.
As a Software Engineer at PEAK6 Technologies, you’ll have a big impact on the firm across several businesses. You’ll write code, help evolve and shape our architecture and frameworks, and have opportunities to take on new problems. We value engineers who are proficient in multiple languages because we know they can quickly learn the next one that comes up.
What you will do all day:
- You will primarily be focused on hands on engineering of business-related applications and as such will have an expert understanding of software engineering best practices such as effective source control, code reviews, daily builds, and automated deployments. You are equally at home with cloud, Internet related technologies, protocols and languages along with lean / agile development techniques and DevOps culture all working as part of a team.
- This role will provide the opportunity for you to become more of a technology polyglot, excited to learn new technologies and techniques across the full technical stack and product life cycle.
- Define, develop, deploy and maintain a mix of front-end, client-facing features and integration real-time/event driven back-end services using multiple languages and frameworks to connect users and other systems to the PEAK6 platform.
- Demonstrate the ability to think appropriately through solutions for different layers of PEAK6’s applications.
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices.
What you need to succeed:
- Applicants must have the permanent right to work in the UK.
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree, or equivalent work experience.
- 5 or more years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team, doing code reviews, testing, CI, trunk-based development, and/or other modern software practices.
- Experience in RDBMS design and writing SQL queries.
- Demonstrated skills in software design.
- The ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required.
- Adaptability: while you enjoy establishing process and standards, you understand the need to be flexible and enjoy trying new things.
- An intuitive understanding of distributed architectures – experience with reactive architectures is a big plus.
- A DevSecOps mindset and a driving desire to deliver value through software.
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Private health insurance for medical and dental
- 25 days annual leave plus 10 NI national holidays
- Great work/life balance and flexible working hours
- Monthly catered lunches
- Unlimited drinks and snacks
- Poker tournaments
- Charitable matching gift program