Software Engineer in Test
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm, headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade Building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It’s been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always providing value to the customer. Throughout the years, we’ve built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You’ll find a bit of everything here, and we’re always looking to take on new endeavours.
As a SET at PEAK6 Technologies, you’ll have a big impact on the firm across several businesses. You’ll take an exploratory approach to software testing and adopt different testing practices depending on the context in which we’re working. We hire testers who prefer to test software with software but will deploy manual and informal practices eagerly when called for.
Our environment is fast-paced and collaborative, and though our current project is written in Java and deployed to EKS, we routinely encounter and work in different languages, frameworks, and systems. We value engineers who are proficient in multiple languages and frameworks because we know they can quickly learn the next one that comes up. We’ve recently written testing software with Cucumber, JUnit, Golang, and Python.
We want to expand our talented teams and are excited to be creating a new centre of excellence in Belfast. We are building teams that are fully functional with leadership, back- and front-end development, data engineering and testing, located in Northern Ireland.
What you’ll do all day
- Write self-documenting and well-structured tests that will be easy to work with and adapt for the next SET who comes along.
- Explore and understand the quality of software that delivers real value to PEAK6 businesses. We often work with micro-services, managed by Kubernetes, sitting behind UIs written in rReact.
- Bring a focus on quality to all phases of software development, by collaborating with your agile team.
- Work as a part of a small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews, and strong engineering practices.
- Support the definition of test automation frameworks and their adoption as part of the wider software quality strategy that embraces automation and, where applicable, manual testing.
- Help grow the team by participating in interview loops, coaching and mentoring your colleagues, and improving our processes and practices.
What you need to succeed
- Applicants must have the permanent right to live and work in the U.K.
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience).
- 4 or more years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team, doing code reviews, testing, CI, trunk-based development, and/or other modern software practices.
- Fluency in at least one of the following core languages: Java, Python, Ruby, C#, or Golang, and at least one secondary language.
- A broad understanding of software systems from CD pipelines to databases to micro-services to front-ends.
- The ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required.
- Adaptability: while you enjoy establishing process and standards, you understand the need to be flexible and enjoy trying new things.
- An intuitive understanding of distributed architectures – experience with reactive architectures is a big plus.
- A DevSecOps mindset and a driving desire to deliver value through software.
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Private health insurance for medical and dental
- 25 days annual leave plus 10 UK national holidays
- Great work/life balance and flexible working hours.
- Monthly Catered lunches
- Unlimited drinks and snacks
- Poker tournament
- Charitable matching gift program