Front End Engineer
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm, headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade Building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It’s been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always providing value to the customer. Throughout the years, we’ve built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You’ll find a bit of everything here, and we’re always looking to take on new endeavours.
We want to expand our talented teams and are excited to be creating a new centre of excellence in Belfast. We are building teams that are fully functional with leadership, back- and front-end development, data engineering and testing, located in Northern Ireland.
What you will do all day:
- Build sweet UIs – and the frameworks that drive them – on top of REST APIs designed in collaboration with your cross-functional team.
- Think through hard problems and solve them at all layers of the enterprise
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that cares most about delivering value to the business while emphasizing code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices
- Help grow the team. As one of the first PEAK6 team members in Belfast, you will help recruit the right talent and establish a culture that developers love to work in. Your coaching and mentoring will prove important in growing the Belfast Office.
What you need to succeed:
- Applicants must have the permanent right to live and work in the U.K.
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 5 or more years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team that utilizes automated testing, CI pipelines, peer reviews ideally in an Agile Environment
- A strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of front-end technologies, especially typescript, react, and SCSS
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- A passion for UX: you understand in your bones that page speed, asset size, and critical render path all affect your users. Pixel-perfect layout may or may not be your thing, but you know that a subtly bad form can ruin a user’s impression of your application.
- Adaptability: while you enjoy establishing process and standards, you understand the need to be flexible and enjoy trying new things.
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- A practice of writing technical documentation, whether ADRs, design docs, or just sequence diagrams
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Private health insurance for medical and dental
- 25 days annual leave plus 10 NI national holidays
- Great work/life balance and flexible working hours
- Monthly catered lunches
- Unlimited drinks and snacks
- Poker tournaments
- Charitable matching gift program