Ozow provides easy, fast, and secure payment solutions for everyone. From QR codes, point of sale, eCommerce, e-billing, peer-to-peer payments, and everything in between, Ozow helps millions of businesses and consumers to pay and get paid.
We’re addressing real needs.
We’re a hyper-scaling fintech. With our latest $48m Series B funding round led by Tencent, we are able to do even more. But we can’t do this alone.
This is why you’re reading this. We’re on the lookout for innovative, problem-solving, big thinkers to come on board!
More about this Ozow fantastic position
As the Software Development Manager, you will need to be well-versed in product development and strategy, but also in programming fundamentals and methodologies. The job will require researching and developing new products and modifications to existing software to improve the overall efficiencies of payment product offering. You will need to build and lead teams of engineers ranging from senior to junior, developing applications for various platforms.
As one of Ozow’s esteemed technical leaders, you would be working in an agile environment and co-create the product roadmap. You will need to provide technical leadership to multiple team of developers, and help them deliver on sprint commitments. The role is overarching, caretaking the entire development cycle and the people in involved in it. The environment is entrepreneurial with a start-up culture, where everyone engages in the product development cycle.
You’ll need to bring your skills to the table so that the team can collectively benefit from your input. To do so, you should have a track record of implementing best practices such as continuous integration, test-driven development, and continuous deployment, and demonstrated skills on team management and mentorship as well as successful delivery of software projects under tight deadlines. You will need to show a strong knowledge of card rails product development, user experience, marketing and SEO, and be able to build and improve products that improve and support the core payment systems.
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- 10+ years in software development experience.
- A proven work experience (5+ years) as a Senior technical leader.
- A relevant IT Diploma or Degree.
- Experience working with agile methodologies – a true believer.
- A strong understanding of payment solutions, particularly in the traditional payment space, and the development thereof.
- Extensive experience of the payment industry gained through vendor, retailer, bank or a card scheme.
- Extensive experience of payment technology implementations, especially traditional payment based projects.
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Understanding user stories and participating in requirements analysis.
- Understanding the interdependency of work items and teams.
- Active engagement with the development teams on all areas of development.
- Participating in code reviews of work performed, and core architectural decisions.
- Active monitoring of the software development process and continouous improvement thereof.
- Standardisation of technologies, approaches, and architectures across teams.
- Working with agile coaches and technical leads to drive architectural changes in current and future projects.
- Liaise with agile coaches and product owners in order to resolve team impediments.
- Constantly keeping up to date with emerging trends and practices in the relevant fields.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to your team members and the rest of the business.
- Regular reporting to the senior management team and other stakeholders on issue status and progress on change initiatives.
- Work with the development and support teams to resolve any production issues timeously and efficiently.
- Management of senior technical leaders, providing the necessary leadership and mentorship to develop them and let everyone achieve their best.
Your skills and experience:
- A team player. You reach out to peers and cooperate with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Persuasive. You are able to convince others to pursue a course of action. You are a skilled facilitator and able to resolve conflicts when they occur.
- Open to criticism and ideas. You often solicit feedback and react calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Able to hire and develop A Players. You source, select and sell A Players to join a company. You coach people in their current roles to improve performance and prepare them for future roles.
- Flexible/ adaptable. You adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. You cope effectively with complexity and change.
- A good communicator. You speak and write clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative.
- Analytical. You are able to structure and process qualitative and quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. You exhibit a probing mind and achieve deep insights.
- Entrepreneurial. You have experience creating new value within the business.
- Strategic in your thinking. You are able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. You determine opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Step One: Our Talent Team will carefully review your application in line with the job description.
- Step Two: If there is a match, we will arrange an interview with our CTO to better understand your skillset
- Step Three: There will be an interview with members of our Development team who will work closely with you in this role.
- Step Four: Our Chief People Offer will meet with you before finalising the hiring process.
Location of the position:
This position is based in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Remote.
What to expect at Ozow
At Ozow, we believe that what we do matters. It’s why we’re focused on driving greater financial inclusion and closing the digital divides. For everyone.
The secret to our success? We’re fast-paced, agile, passionate, and driven. We’re also heavily dependent on collaboration, camaraderie, collective hard work and innovation.
Collectively, all of this makes up our DNA. It’s the fuel to our rocket ship.
Benefits at Ozow
We’re serious about building our people.
As part of this, Ozow offers competitive salaries, growth development programmes (including a mentorship programme), along with a wide range of other benefits.
Depending on the team you’re in, we also offer remote and hybrid work options.
To keep the team mentally and physically healthy, we run a variety of initiatives geared to making a positive difference in their lives.
We’re also committed to creating an honest, supportive, inclusive environment that celebrates our diversity of backgrounds, ideas, skill sets, and life experiences.
Keen to know more?
Interested in joining our rocket ship?
To find out more about life at Ozow, head over to our Careers Page here!