We trust our development teams to choose their tech stacks, in the Data team you’ll commonly encounter Scala, Python, Kafka, Kafka Streams, BigQuery, SQL, Kubernetes and Terraform. We run our services in GCP, AWS and Azure.
We’re looking for engineers with an interest in the above, but your experience doesn’t have to match our stack. We’re interested in engineers with deep experience in similar technologies and also polyglots who are comfortable working across the stack.
Diverse teams are the best teams.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know 'normal' office hours don't work for everyone, so we're open to discussing flexible working requests. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
In our Bristol HQ we have around 50 Software Engineers all with varying backgrounds and levels of experience. One key thing that all of our engineers have in common is a desire to develop brilliant, industry disrupting products as well as their own skills.
Our mission is to fuel human progress with clean, abundant energy for all.
Today OVO is no longer simply an energy retail business: it is a group of innovative, dynamic companies, all striving to harness technological advances with great customer propositions.
We are the leading innovator in energy technology, a sector that is currently experiencing a period of rapid change, always reimagining how energy should be controlled in the digital age. Not only are we contributing to changes in supplying retail consumers; we are also creating an intelligent control platform for the grid itself, creating support for more renewable energy using batteries and electric vehicles.
We also built the first mobile payment solution for pay as you go customers, and are integrating smart home technology into energy supply. Our systems use the best technology has to offer, enabling the real time data streams behind our best in market customer products.
We have a very strong engineering culture that’s all about empowerment and ownership: all to solve one of the world’s greatest problems.
You’re the right person for us if:
- You are genuinely passionate about developing products that will positively impact over a million people and also our environment
- You enjoy working with data and have an interest in modern data-related fields (data science, big data, machine-learning….)
- You love working in teams and collaboratively building features that impact customers
- You are motivated by owning products, from inception to continuous improvement
- You believe strongly in test driven development and continuous delivery
- You love building scalable, resilient solutions
- You seek learning opportunities to deepen your expertise or broaden your knowledge
What experience you’ll need:
- You’re a hands on engineer with expertise in at least one programming language
- You have built or contributed to a variety of systems, ideally in different technologies
- Knowledge of the best engineering practices and continuous delivery
- You have experience building highly performant applications
What we offer:
- A very strong engineering culture (read more: https://tech.ovoenergy.com/)
- Competitive pay + a great bonus scheme
- 4% flexible benefits (we’ll chip in an extra 4% of your basic salary towards tech for your home, cycle scheme, health plan, workplace ISA, pension top up and much more)
- 26 days holiday + buy/sell scheme
- 5% matched pension
- Sabbatical after 3 years of service
- Enhanced maternity pay + shared parental leave
- Flexible working hours + home working
- Free breakfast every day
- Discounted Friska & onsite gym
- A real commitment to your training & development (including paid courses / subscriptions)
- & lots more!
Interview tips: https://tech.ovoenergy.com/how-to-nail-that-dream-job/
Our tech blog: https://tech.ovoenergy.com/
Our github: https://github.com/ovotech