Contract Data Engineer (8 month)
Cape Town and/or Remote
Over puts the power to inspire the world, build a business, or grow your brand – in the palm of your hand. You can create impactful visual content in just a few taps, with no design experience necessary. We've also recently joined forces with GoDaddy on its mission to radically shift the global economy toward life-fulfilling independent ventures.
At Over we believe that Creativity is the magical act of making change happen.
It’s the power to reinvent yourself and the sorcery of making something out of nothing.
It's also the terror of a blank page; a rough destination with no directions.
But with the right tools, creativity turns any obstacle course into a playground.
So we take the hard parts out, so our users can focus on the joy of making change happen
Our users are ambitious, driven, and highly creative go-getters, entrepreneurs and dreamers, and we make it our mission to ensure they’re equipped with the tools and knowledge to make their mark on the world – whatever that may be.
We have an incredibly talented team of inspiring individuals, who have worked tirelessly to make Over into the wonderful product it is today. Together, we’re inspiring the world to create, one design at a time.
We’re an award winning (yes! You read that right - we’re one of Apple’s 2019 apps of the year in the ‘Storytelling Simplified’ category) with a distributed team spanning a wide range of locations – and we’re constantly growing.
At Over, we live and breathe these values – and they show up in everything we do:
- Go big and go home – good products come from the heart, and good hearts come from healthy homes and minds.
- Growth is at the heart of everything we do – we proactively learn whatever is necessary to build a truly great product and company.
- We say “thank you”. Like, a lot. For big things, small things, old things and new things. Our #gratitude Slack channel is a constant reminder we’re an overwhelmingly grateful bunch.
- Inspire – not just our users, but each other. On any given day, you’ll learn something new, hear a great story, feel empowered, get a hug, or a high five. It’s just how it goes.
- We are resilient – we embrace failure, celebrate spills, and recover quickly from a punch to the throat. It happens.
- We see it big, and keep it simple – clearly visualizing the future, but keeping an eye on the details, and breaking it down into tiny habits, actions and experiments.
We are looking for a Data Engineer for a 8 month contract to assist in post-acquisition product and data engineering integration. You will assist Over to grow a data-driven culture and will help build the foundation that we need for Business Intelligence and advanced Data Science capabilities.
- Write scripts to extract data from various third-party resources, perform basic transformations and upload the data into our data warehouse. We use Python, Google BigQuery, and Apache Airflow.
- Write scripts to fix historical data issues.
- Data modeling
- Write SQL views to create a logical representation of the underlying raw data. Assist in designing the logical data representation
- Specify, communicate and test eventing requirements for new app features
- Collaboratively develop appropriate metrics. Write SQL views to summarise and calculate these metrics
- Write scripts to materialize metrics when required
- Charts & Dashboards
- Collaborate with various teams to produce appropriate charts and dashboards to assist them in fulfilling their business functions. Ensure that teams understand the final product
- Assist in answering ad-hoc questions
Skills, competencies, and experience:
- 4+ years Professional experience in a Data Engineering position is required
- Good SQL skills
- At least some basic programming ability; we use Python
- Version control
- Automates & tests wherever possible
- Maintainable code that can be collectively owned & understood
- Comfortable with acquiring data from various sources
- Comfortable with working with data in various formats (CSV, JSON etc)
- Emotionally intelligent
- Veracious learner
- Good communication skills
- Good organization skills
- Friendly and outgoing
- Detail oriented
- A self-starter