Contract Backend Engineer (8 month)
Cape Town and/or Remote
Backend Engineering Lead
Over puts the power to inspire the world, build a business, or grow your brand – in the palm of your hand. You can create impactful visual content in just a few taps, with no design experience necessary. We've also recently joined forces with GoDaddy on its mission to radically shift the global economy toward life-fulfilling independent ventures.
At Over we believe that Creativity is the magical act of making change happen.
It’s the power to reinvent yourself and the sorcery of making something out of nothing.
It's also the terror of a blank page; a rough destination with no directions.
But with the right tools, creativity turns any obstacle course into a playground.
So we take the hard parts out, so our users can focus on the joy of making change happen
Our users are ambitious, driven, and highly creative go-getters, entrepreneurs and dreamers, and we make it our mission to ensure they’re equipped with the tools and knowledge to make their mark on the world – whatever that may be.
We have an incredibly talented team of inspiring individuals, who have worked tirelessly to make Over into the wonderful product it is today. Together, we’re inspiring the world to create, one design at a time.
We’re an award winning (yes! You read that right - we’re one of Apple’s 2019 apps of the year in the ‘Storytelling Simplified’ category) with a distributed team spanning a wide range of locations – and we’re constantly growing.
At Over, we live and breathe these values – and they show up in everything we do:
- Go big and go home – good products come from the heart, and good hearts come from healthy homes and minds.
- Growth is at the heart of everything we do – we proactively learn whatever is necessary to build a truly great product and company.
- We say “thank you”. Like, a lot. For big things, small things, old things and new things. Our #gratitude Slack channel is a constant reminder we’re an overwhelmingly grateful bunch.
- Inspire – not just our users, but each other. On any given day, you’ll learn something new, hear a great story, feel empowered, get a hug, or a high five. It’s just how it goes.
- We are resilient – we embrace failure, celebrate spills, and recover quickly from a punch to the throat. It happens.
- We see it big, and keep it simple – clearly visualizing the future, but keeping an eye on the details, and breaking it down into tiny habits, actions and experiments.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer for a 8 month contract to assist in building robust backend micro-services to support content, search and other features that help our creators on our platform. We want to optimize tools, all while gaining valuable insights to help continually improve our products.
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team to continuously experiment, iterate and deliver on new product objectives as well as improving existing architecture.
- Build services for other teams to consume and ensure delivery of these services to production
- Be a strong participant in the Over and Godaddy-wide web developer community affecting and driving web engineering across the company.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems for delivering various media worldwide.
- Evaluation of new technologies to help scale.
Please note we are a remote first company however our headquarters and most of our engineers are Cape Town based and on Southern African Standard time and you'll have to work hours that align with theirs (an earlier start than most but also an earlier end to your day!)
Skills, Competencies, and Experience:
- 8+ years of professional experience in a software engineering position.
- Experience with cloud services such as Google Cloud Services, Microsoft Azure, AWS.
- Experience with Continuous Delivery and associated technologies and patterns such as Buddy Build, Ansible, Git, Git flow etc.
- Experience with a service-oriented architecture and associated technologies and patterns preferably microservices architecture, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience with Go
- Experience with a JVM language preferably Java or Kotlin
- Experience with mobile technologies such as Swift, Objective C, React Native would be beneficial