Contract Content Designer (12 months)
London, Cape Town and/or Remote
Over puts the power to inspire the world, build a business, or grow your brand – in the palm of your hand. You can create impactful visual content in just a few taps, with no design experience necessary. We've also recently joined forces with GoDaddy on its mission to radically shift the global economy toward life-fulfilling independent ventures.
At Over we believe that Creativity is the magical act of making change happen.
It’s the power to reinvent yourself and the sorcery of making something out of nothing.
It's also the terror of a blank page; a rough destination with no directions.
But with the right tools, creativity turns any obstacle course into a playground.
So we take the hard parts out, so our users can focus on the joy of making change happen
Our users are ambitious, driven, and highly creative go-getters, entrepreneurs and dreamers, and we make it our mission to ensure they’re equipped with the tools and knowledge to make their mark on the world – whatever that may be.
We have an incredibly talented team of inspiring individuals, who have worked tirelessly to make Over into the wonderful product it is today. Together, we’re inspiring the world to create, one design at a time.
We’re an award winning (yes! You read that right - we’re one of Apple’s 2019 apps of the year in the ‘Storytelling Simplified’ category) with a distributed team spanning a wide range of locations – and we’re constantly growing.
At Over, we live and breathe these values – and they show up in everything we do:
- Go big and go home – good products come from the heart, and good hearts come from healthy homes and minds.
- Growth is at the heart of everything we do – we proactively learn whatever is necessary to build a truly great product and company.
- We say “thank you”. Like, a lot. For big things, small things, old things and new things. Our #gratitude Slack channel is a constant reminder we’re an overwhelmingly grateful bunch.
- Inspire – not just our users, but each other. On any given day, you’ll learn something new, hear a great story, feel empowered, get a hug, or a high five. It’s just how it goes.
- We are resilient – we embrace failure, celebrate spills, and recover quickly from a punch to the throat. It happens.
- We see it big, and keep it simple – clearly visualizing the future, but keeping an eye on the details, and breaking it down into tiny habits, actions and experiments.
- Support content acquisition by creating various in-app assets ranging from dynamic graphics, templates, layouts, videos & stories for the Discover feed.
- Create in-app content that is unique and original for various industries, trends, themes, and topics.
- Curate photos and templates from Over’s content library and incorporate them into your designs and Discover feed stories.
- Create content assets like graphics and color palettes that help guide our users in ensuring their designs are not only easy to use, readable but also attractive and engaging.
- Actively participate in ideation sessions to improve our library and help our users in their creative journeys.
- Identifying any emerging design or social media trends, content gaps and opportunities that can benefit our library, our engagement and our users.
- Always ensure that our in-app content assets are created with the highest quality in terms of aesthetics and usability.
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
- Review and assess templates being submitted weekly, as well as provide feedback on how to improve the usability of designs.
- Work closely with the Production Manager on projects within deadlines and specific timings.
- You have a stylistic approach and strong understanding of what makes a good design based on design fundamentals, principles and elements.
- You have an extensive range of different design styles across various industries or brands.
- Must have a strong understanding of content and how it works within the digital space.
- Ability to extend visual systems and brand guidelines across channels.
- You have a keen understanding of user interaction and the importance of usability.
- You can effectively simplify design concepts and articulate ideas and blockers.
- Proactively engages in team initiatives and can work with very minimal supervision and offer suggestions that drive improvements and alignment.
- You’re on the pulse of current aesthetic, cultural and social media trends.
- A person who motivates and inspires those around you through your passion and drive for all things content.
- Excels in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other writers, designers, engineers, marketers and other functions across the organization.
- Thinks on their feet and applies learnings and improvement initiatives on the fly.
- Can see the big-picture and also appreciates the smaller details.
- The ability to deliver consistently excellent work and take responsibility for your allocated projects.
- A problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. There are constantly new projects, new learning-opportunities, and new hurdles to overcome.
- 2+ years of professional experience in a designer role across digital & print
- A portfolio demonstrating compelling visual design
- Proficiency in Sketch, Adobe CC Suite, After Effects (or a similar equivalent)
- Photography skills would be a plus
- Native mobile experience is a plus
- Motion graphics experience is a plus
- Video content creation would be a plus
In addition to a Cover Letter (optional) and your CV please include a portfolio detailing a range of styles designed across brands and platforms (print and digital). Any additional photographic, illustrative or video work will be considered an asset (nice to have).