Over is in the business of brand-building. Whether personal or professional, for fun or for profit, the Over app helps build, boost, and expand brands. Our users are incredibly ambitious, nothing-is-impossible entrepreneurs, side hustlers, risk takers, and dreamers who are often time-starved, resource-strapped, and design-challenged.
We’re a Silicon Valley startup based in Cape Town, South Africa. Our team of top-notch designers, social media mavens, branding experts, ease-of-use engineers, and the most supportive customer support team on earth are on hand to help our users create everything from social posts and digital ads to logos and flyers. With professionally-designed templates, easy-to-use tools, and hand-selected, fonts, photos, and graphics, Over gives the confidence and creativity, imagination and inspiration to build any brand.
Only Over is purpose-built for mobile so our users can create anywhere, at any time. No desktop required. All that is needed is the app, a phone, and your thumb to grow and thrive on social media and beyond.
We think everything should make you smile—from using the app and getting support to working here.
We’re a little bit obsessive, at times uncompromising, but it’s all because we care intensely about our customers, our team, the experience, design, branding, social media, and the world.
We’re always striving to be inspired and inspire others with great design, easy-to-use technology, and an awesome workplace.
To each other, our customers, our partners, the world. We believe that a little kindness goes a long way, so we try to spread a lot of it.
The glass is always half full, and most of the time it’s overflowing. We believe that anything and everything is possible if you put your whole heart and mind into it
We have been featured on the App Store countless numbers of times. Our greatest recognition was being "App of the week" which saw us receive millions of downloads. We regularly work with the App Store team as we are without question one of the most user-friendly design tools out there.
As an iOS Engineer, you will be a part of a great team responsible for iterating on the success of our App and empowering our users to be even better. Sometimes this will involve improving existing features, working on brand new ones, R&D or bug fixes. It will also definitely require your input into how things look and feel and whether they make sense for our users. We pride ourselves on our startup mentality, all voices are considered and we always strive to make it easy for anyone to validate an idea from a new coding strategy to a fully fledged product idea.
Our culture is extremely unique with each individual being allowed the freedom to implement new ways of working and writing code in the team. The innate desire to be a self-learner is encouraged and we run regular lunch and learns where we can share the things we are working on or interested in. If you like structure, this might not be the best place for you. Change is at the heart of our culture as we embrace the philosophy that true greatness can be achieved one step at a time, and this requires constant change and experimentation.
All new code is written in Swift but we still have some legacy Objective-C (around 5% of our code base). We currently work in mini-squads of 2-3 engineers per feature as this has proven to be very successful. We don't have a fixed set of tools we use as we tend to try and adopt new ones and change things up often but GitHub, Trello, and Slack have stuck around longest. Our culture is extremely open and we pride ourselves in that. It's essential to our success to foster a culture where every engineer feels safe to express their concerns or when they don't understand how to do a certain thing. We try our best, make mistakes, and learn from each experience.
If you want to be a better human and a better engineer, then joining our team will help you grow on your path. Our goal is to unlock the talent within each engineer and as a team be great!
Let us know if this sounds like the place for you :)
If you don't feel you have all the skills required but have the drive and ambition, lets have a chat, there is always space for the right human :-D
- Develop and support features in our iOS app
- Evaluate technologies to help scale mobile development
- Delivery of the app and relevant services to production
Skills, competencies, and experience:
- 4+ years of professional experience in an iOS software engineering position
- Experience with iOS development tools, languages, and frameworks such as Swift, Objective-C etc
- Experience with delivering apps to the App Store
- Experience with Continuous Delivery and associated technologies and patterns such as Buddy Build, TestFlight, Git, Git flow etc
- Experience with consuming services in service-oriented architecture and associated technologies e.g. API Gateways, interacting with RESTful services etc
- Emotionally intelligent
- Voracious learner
- Good communication skills
- Good organization skills
- Friendly and outgoing
- Detail oriented
- A self-starter
- Unique learning and development opportunities
- Remote-friendly work environment.
- Unlimited leave
- Choose your hours to match your energy levels
- Own shares with generous stock options
- A progressive and meaningful maternity and paternity policy
- A monthly travel subsidy for your commute to work
- A culture focused heavily on wellness
- A dynamic and engaging work environment where you can:
- Spend your downtime with a buddy playing table tennis
- Flex your mind and muscles in weekly yoga sessions
- Find your zen with daily meditation sessions
- Increase resilience with weekly physiotherapy treatments
- Get your hair styled and trimmed once a month
- Enjoy in-house coffees, teas, smoothies, and drinks made by our awesome barista
- Read more with your Kindle (courtesy of Over) and Expensify all your books