Outset Medical is looking for a motivated Electrical Engineer to join the Research and Development Organization to work on new product development activities. This position places an emphasis on working closely with a multi-disciplinary engineering team to develop sophisticated hardware designs. Candidates must be self-motivated, independent and have an eagerness to learn and work as a team, and a desire to thrive in an exciting environment. You are expected to demonstrate strong fundamental knowledge in electrical engineering and applied physics concepts, be able to resolve difficult technical problems, and have the skills to communicate broadly across engineering teams.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop electrical systems and architectures from board to system level spanning a broad range of disciplines, i.e., digital, analog, power, packaging/thermal, and firmware.
- Facilitate board bring-up, test, and debug of newly designed electrical hardware.
- Prototype design solutions/concepts to prove out design feasibility, functionality, and performance.
- Firmware development in C/C++ including the ability to bring-up new interfaces (sensors, motor controllers etc.) on ARM/Cortex-M processors.
- Work with external consultants/contractors to specify, implement and test FPGA based designs.
- Participate in design reviews and design FMEA analysis.
- Develop specifications, system protocols, test protocols for design verification activities and compliance testing in a regulated environment
- Act as a technical lead for subsystem projects with minimal guidance and act as a mentor to emerging engineers. Define priorities and execute on the same.
- Perform hardware testing for IEC medical safety and EMC standards such as IEC60601 and CISPR22 for safety and EMC compliance in a regulated environment
- Communicate status, plans to the multi-functional engineering and program management teams
- Interface with operations, quality, regulatory, clinical affairs, outside consultants and vendors to ensure compliance with internal and external policies and procedures.
- Minimum BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or Computer Engineering with 5 years of experience. Advanced Degree Preferred.
- Proficient in Altium Designer or an equivalent tool
- Proven experience designing and developing complex electrical systems from feasibility through to production, from board to system level
- Exposure to a broad range of topics in Electronics design with deep expertise in one of the following: signal conditioning/instrumentation circuits, motor controllers, linear and switching power supplies, digital logic circuits, MCU and FPGA designs.
- Firmware development skills in C/C++. Knowledge of serial bus interfaces including I2C, SPI, UART.
- Experience designing with FPGA/SoC devices (both hardware and circuit design)
- Experience with electronics in safety-critical applications
- Demonstrated experience of design, test and solving for medical safety and IEC EMC standards, such as IEC60601-1, IEC60601-1-2, IEC61000-4-6 or equivalent, for complex medical systems
- Ability to debug and characterize electronic systems using standard bench test equipment such as oscilloscopes, function generators, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with troubleshooting of sophisticated systems to include circuit issues, EMI/EMC/ESD mitigation
- Excellent communication & presentation skills with internal and external partners and engineering leaders
- A passion for solving challenging problems using first-principles approaches.