Outset is a medical technology company pioneering a first-of-its-kind technology to reduce the cost and complexity of dialysis. The Tablo Hemodialysis System, FDA cleared for use from the hospital to the home, represents a significant technological advancement that transforms the dialysis experience for patients and operationally simplifies it for providers. Tablo serves as a single enterprise solution that can be utilized across the continuum of care, allowing dialysis to be delivered anytime, anywhere and by anyone. The integration of water purification and on-demand dialysate production enables Tablo to serve as a dialysis clinic on wheels, with 2-way wireless data transmission and a proprietary data analytics platform powering a new holistic approach to dialysis care.
The Manager, Field Service reporting to the Sr. Director, Service & Support is responsible for overseeing a customer facing workforce that is transforming the landscape of dialysis.
The Field Service team is frequently the face of Outset to our customers. In addition to delivering an exceptional customer experience, the Field Service team is responsible for equipment installation, repair, ongoing preventative maintenance, and in-service support for Outset’s dialysis system. The customer oriented, hands-on leader will provide first-class support to the customer while effectively managing a team of US based Field Service Engineers. This role will provide support and guidance to customers as well as Field Service Engineers ensuring timely and quality resolutions to issues, and manage repair escalations ensuring downtime is kept to a minimum.
This role will interface professionally with our Sales & Clinical Teams, Customer Staff as well as patients and will be one of the key faces of Outset. They will additionally provide support to Marketing or Sales for seminars, trade shows, and other demonstrations, as necessary.
Travel within the United States is expected up to 50% of the time to build effective relationships with Sales and key customer contacts, support repairs, escalations, and/or provide additional training for Outset Field Service Engineers.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures Outset Medical Tablo system uptime, SLA adherence & excellent customer experience through service delivery
- Oversees work for Field Service Engineers, including mean time to respond, mean time to repair, call closure, inventory, and parts returns
- Quantifies the success of Field Service Engineers, partners with direct reports to objectively improve performance
- Builds effective business relationships with Sales and key customer contacts, ensuring Outset medical delivers an exceptional customer experience
- Creates projects & programs to drive continuous improvement and increasing knowledge/competence of the workforce
- Works with leadership to identify and track key performance indicators for the Field Service group
- Strong sense of urgency in the execution of service delivery
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with customers, patients, and internal personnel
- Strong Salesforce skills required & deep understanding of Field Service processes, partners with internal stakeholders to improve processes & business systems
- Responsible for recruiting and hiring Field Service Engineers as well as procuring tooling and other items needed for the job
- Provides on-demand first and second level technical support to customers including after-hours phone support, holiday and weekend on-site support as required
- Provides guidance & professional development to employees
- Manage and maintain company assets required to perform all necessary job functions
- Degree in Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical, Industrial, or Systems Engineering strongly preferred
- 5+ years Field Service experience supporting complex capital equipment (medical devices and/or robotics preferred), including mechanical, electrical, fluidics and software elements containing a large number of SKUs
- Experience working in a regulated environment; familiar with Medical Device Regulations – CFR & ISO requirements preferred
- Ability to read, write, analyze, and interpret electronic and fluidics schematic diagrams and flowcharts.
- Self-starter and independent with the ability to manage/coordinate a staff located remotely.
- Willing to travel and be hands-on in the field to service the product whenever necessary.
- Pragmatic, organized and detailed. Has a big capacity to both think and do, strong on detail and highly organized.
- Ability to promote ideas persuasively, influence others, and build and maintain effective professional relationships with internal partners and business leaders
- An independent thinker willing and able to express and support a point of view.
- Demonstrated ability to think innovatively, connecting the dots when others cannot. Able to make the leap from information to insight.
- Has a quick intelligence, is fast on their feet and quickly responds to issues and questions.
- Great writer and talker. Can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly, and accurately to engineering and non-technical audiences.
- Capable of maintaining a rapid pace; moves at a nice clip and enjoys having multiple projects going at once. Can change course, be scrappy and get things done on short timeframes.
- Excellent computer and technology skills with regards to software applications, (Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point) ERP databases, and technology innovation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and good driving record.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Note: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals will be required to sit for most of the day and will be required to stand as needed. May require walking, primarily on a level surface for periods of time throughout the day. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear. Proper lifting techniques will be required to lift, up to, 75lbs. Individuals will be required to travel via airplane, train, taxi, car and/or other means of transportation as needed.