Outset is a medical technology company pioneering a first-of-its-kind technology to reduce the cost and complexity of dialysis. The Tablo Hemodialysis System, FDA cleared for use from the hospital to the home, represents a significant technological advancement that transforms the dialysis experience for patients and operationally simplifies it for providers. Tablo serves as a single enterprise solution that can be utilized across the continuum of care, allowing dialysis to be delivered anytime, anywhere and by anyone. The integration of water purification and on-demand dialysate production enables Tablo to serve as a dialysis clinic on wheels, with 2-way wireless data transmission and a proprietary data analytics platform powering a new holistic approach to dialysis care.
As a Senior Manager, Commodity Management you will use your wide industry knowledge and strategic supplier relationships to optimize our total cost of ownership for our growing infrastructure. You will manage a team of commodity managers, as well as be responsible for all aspects of supplier development and ongoing performance management and business needs. You'll develop and execute Outset's sourcing strategy for parts related to electro-mechanical assembly, electronics, plastics, machining category and/or any other components intrinsic to the successful running of the organization. You will be a key part of an end-to-end supply chain team that drives continuous improvement and ensures operational excellence in support of Outset’s rapid growth.
You will be a member of our Supply Chain Organization supporting the development, implementation and management of strategies to provide Outset with optimal supply assurance to meet growth, pricing, flexibility, quality, delivery performance, total costs of ownership to achieve maximum advantage for Outset and our customers.
Outset is a fast moving, dynamic environment where flexibility and adaptability are key attributes needed for success. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with expert overall Sourcing Expertise.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop commodity strategies: identify potential suppliers, analyze supplier capabilities, select suppliers and determine prices/spend strategy, finalize terms and conditions of agreements
- Be the point of contact for all escalations with suppliers and relationship management.
- Manage and mentor a team of commodity managers
- Analyze current spend and continually evaluate current suppliers. Consolidate spend across supply base to create leverage, analyze purchasing trends and develop sourcing alternatives
- Optimize global supply chain performance through cost and scenario analysis, and benchmarking
- Develop an in-depth understanding of value-added manufacturing processes and costs, reverse logistics, and market intelligence, and apply this knowledge to influence Outset’s future product roadmap and sourcing decisions
- Issue RFX for sourcing assigned commodities, and review, analyze and clarify quotation / proposal from suppliers. Provide right recommendation based on sourcing process for approval, and finalize/release contract/PO
- Drive price negotiations processes to ensure that Outset commodity pricing are best in class; Drive continual cost reduction and avoidance initiatives through ad hoc price negotiations
- Evaluate and provide guidance on final selection of suppliers; Perform value analysis; Evaluate supplier core competencies and competitive positioning using industry cost models
- Evaluate supplier business proposals and present recommendations that will result in cost savings, avoidance or containment
- Identify supplier consolidation opportunities that will generate savings from executing strategic sourcing projects
- Develop sourcing and negotiation strategies that deliver against business objectives and achieves sustainable relationships with suppliers
- Design, conduct and synthesize supplier, industry and market research for assigned commodities to develop sourcing strategy. Address all areas of category management including category business plans, global market and pricing analysis and procurement support
- Drive cost transparency and build Total Cost of Ownership models to support sourcing decisions
- Lead and be a key contact for various supplier selection processes to meet the growth and cost objectives and collaboration activities in early product transfer phase. Identify & achieve saving according to benchmark study, VA/VE, competitive bidding, or resourcing etc.
- Effectively work with suppliers to negotiate optimal terms for sourcing; Understand the trade-offs between cost, volume, and quality in order to strike agreements that meet Outset’s performance criteria and secure long-term supply continuity
- Assess and mitigate risks to the business. Manage global supply chain disruptions in real time with the support of a cross functional team; Monitor current category market conditions, technology roadmaps and identify supply/demand challenges & opportunities
- Maintain supplier relationship by effective communication, track supplier KPI and drive supplier to improve, and lead commercial issue resolutions
- BA/BS Degree preferred;
- Prefer 10 years of progressive experience in Commodity Management and Sourcing in a manufacturing or R&D environment
- Minimum of 8 years of strategic commodity management experience for custom and/or machined parts
- Strong people management skills are essential; minimum of 5 years people management experience is preferred
- Strategic sourcing, NPI, cost analyses, and contract negotiations (purchasing / service agreements) skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing process like molding, stamping, castings, machining, and fabrications is preferred
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills, proficiency in using MS Excel / PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to identify business process issues and drive process improvement
- Open-minded self-starter with the ability to adapt, improvise and problem solve
- Strive for innovative manufacturing technologies and processes
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects with various stakeholders
- Organizational skills to manage and track transactional details
- Certification on APICS or CPM or CPSM is a plus
- Team attitude; eager to cooperate with others with exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in a start-up environment strongly preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- This role is "flexible remote," and will require one day in the office in either San Diego or San Jose.
- Must have an active LinkedIn profile