Love music? Come sit with us. At our core, we help creative people make better music with cutting edge technology.
Output is one of the most influential and fastest-growing music-making software companies in the world used by the likes of Drake, Bjork, Rihanna, and Coldplay, to name a few. Our focus is to inspire a new generation of music makers with a platform that brings the power of a studio to anyone, wherever they are. With groundbreaking products providing new sources of inspiration and sound; here at Output, we are on an endless journey to revolutionize the way creators make music.
Since raising a $45 million Series A investment, the Output team is growing, and we’re looking for an experienced Web Engineering Manager who is a people manager for our team, while bringing sharp and broad web tech skills and experience, and advanced tech leadership, planning and prioritization skills. The ideal candidate will be able to provide technical vision and roadmap for the team, while leveraging an SRE mindset to raise the bar for the team on uptime for production web properties. This leadership role will help to inspire and guide our team on best practices and CICD process maturity to take us to the next level. They will need to work closely with many diverse stakeholders across multiple departments including engineering, product, growth, marketing, operations, and design. A successful candidate must be self-motivated, detail-orientated, technically savvy, and energized to chart the course for the Output’s future web engineering roadmap.
How you'll add value:
- Be a people manager for the web engineering team
- Inspire and lead the web team with a collaborative, transparent and servant leader approach
- Provide performance management and reviews, career development, compensation management, hiring, etc
- Provide the tech vision and roadmap for web engineering
- Take a methodical and collaborative approach on future architecture, languages, frameworks, and technologies needed for our website as a product
- Act as an engineering role model for the web engineering space
- Set high standards and lead by example on web engineering best practices - including architecture, code reviews, development best practices, TDD, test coverage and automation, mature CI/CD processes, prod-readiness, etc.
- Lead the charge to improve software quality through metrics, KPIs and concrete measurable next steps
- Be a strong advocate for SRE and safe deployment best practices. Value uptime of our production site above all. Ensure monitoring, alerting, and support for uptime of critical web user experiences in production
- Be a tech lead for a cross-functional scrum team focused on our main output.com website and other web properties
- Be a strong partner with Product, Design and QA in the web engineering space
- Participate in regular scrum planning, standups, grooming, and retrospectives.
- Support scoping, estimation, tech design, and execution of new features from Product, Growth, Marketing, Finance and other stakeholders
- Be hands-on developer-leader who is able to take tickets in a sprint if needed
- Be able to wear the tech product owner and tech project manager hat as needed in the web engineering space, especially for tech-driven projects
- Be an advocate for paying down tech debt while building for security, availability, and scale
What you'll need to be successful in this role:
- Two or more years experience as a manager of web developers
- Five or more years hands-on experience in web development
- CS / EE degree or similar experience
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and communications skills - Ability to inspire, motivate and lead a team
- Strong partnership and relationship building skills - Able to partner closely with Product, Marketing, Engineering, and QA peers
- Strong decision making, prioritization skills and focus - Able to shield the team from external noise while focusing them on the highest value work
- Broad exposure to web languages, frameworks, technologies, and tools such as -
- Experience with a few of the following - Wordpress, Woo Commerce, Shopify, etc
- Solid understanding of security, PCI compliance, Security, WAF and DNS configuration, bot management, firewall rules, etc
- Web unit, integration and regression testing and automation (Ghost Inspector, Datadog, RUM, synthetics, dashboards)
- Experience with A|B testing, payments, and checkout optimization
- Web and backend CI/CD processes
- Strong stakeholder management skills - Able to manage stakeholder expectations, risk, and anticipate stakeholder needs
- Experience in setting up SRE best practices, automated testing, monitoring and alerting
- Bonus: Passion for democratizing music making and empowering creative music makers
Output has made a name for itself as one of the fastest growing, creative, and influential music-making software companies in the world. The likes of Kendrick Lamar, Bjork, Rihanna, James Blake, Imagine Dragons, Justin Timberlake, Nine Inch Nails and many more use our software to write music as well as hit shows and films like Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, and Black Panther.
We are a strong group of like-minded music makers and music lovers sharing the common goal of helping music makers around the world be creative. We’re bonded by music. We’re motivated by challenging and fulfilling work. And we always do it while having fun.
We have adapted our working styles and have successfully launched new products, achieved record sales and we continue to thrive as a team all while working remotely. We have embraced the “work from anywhere revolution” and will continue to hire all roles remotely unless otherwise stated. Our Los Angeles office will remain open to those needing a space or looking for a place to collaborate with other teams. Our culture has always valued our employee’s work-life balance and we offer 5 weeks of PTO, excellent health care, and a community of music enthusiasts- with access to our music studios (once it is safe to return).