Join the mission to make Earth a sustainable home forever.
We see a future where space is the gateway to a more resilient and sustainable Earth. Outpost is the sustainable space company. Outpost is creating the world's first commercial reusable satellites that will come back to earth after mission completion and then get refurbished for the next mission, reducing future space debris and contributing to the long term sustainability of human life in space while making the cost of a satellite mission up to 80% cheaper and 100% cleaner.
We enable precision Earth Return of satellites and orbital payloads. We believe that our future in space must be built with sustainability at its core and that efficient, precise Earth Return is essential for the development of new industries in space and the improvement of life on Earth.
Outpost allows companies to iterate on technical developments in space and ensure mission success. If you believe that the advancement into space will create a better planet Earth for all living beings and have the background to support it, then we want to hear from you.
Who you are:
- You are an effective communicator who has worked with electrical and mechanical engineering teams on mission-level and customer driven system needs and planning.
- Capable of identifying and solving complex problems with little to no supervision or direction.
- Appreciate that real world hardware in the loop testing and delivery of MVP functional control and estimation algorithms are needed earlier than optimized simulations
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven atmosphere.
- Excited about making smarter, better, extremely low cost space systems.
- Prefer to maintain a system level overview to ensure that ADCS requirements match up with the satellite system and mission
- Work with electrical and mechanical engineering teams to ensure that ADCS requirements are in line with avionics size, weight, and power and overall system-level constraints.
- Coordinate with vendors of avionics products, both software and hardware, to ensure products are delivered within expectations.
- Passion for space and the application of advanced estimation and control techniques in this domain
- Bachelor's degree in physics, aerospace or similar engineering discipline.
- Software development experience in C/C++ and Python/Matlab.
- Experience with satellite attitude determination and control
- Master's degree or PhD in physics, aerospace or similar engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated project or professional experience in satellite attitude determination and control
- Experience with implementing and testing optimal estimation and control algorithms on real hardware (e.g. Extended Kalman Filters, LQR)
- Strong understanding of classical dynamics, modeling and simulation, classical and modern control, and software development.
- Experience in end-to-end development of three axis stabilized spacecraft incorporating momentum, magnetic, and/or propulsive control.
- Experience with flexible body control, orbital maneuvering, filtering, fault management, software development, and navigation filtering.
- Modeling, design, analysis, implementation and test of satellite attitude determination and control (ADCS) algorithms.
- Hardware performance specification including reaction wheel and torque rod sizing, sensor noise and performance, characteristics, redundancy and fault management.
- Define and own ADCS requirements definition with electrical and mechanical engineers
- Implement closed loop pointing, orbit raising, and station keeping algorithms for flight.
- Analyze platform stability to ensure low jitter of line-of-sight instruments.
- Develop high fidelity 6 degree of freedom satellite simulations using Python, Matlab or C++.
Additional Skills or Expertise
- Low thrust trajectory optimization for orbital maneuvering.
- $110,000 - $150,000, based on experience
- Annual Performance-Based Bonuses
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid Sick Leave, Bereavement Leave, and Family Leave
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Outpost Space we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Please click here to Apply.